New Zealand

nickb123

New Zealand

Post by nickb123 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:17 pm

Hey guys heading over to NZ sunday and would really appreciate help on fishing over there!! i've put together 2 trays with lots of different jig heads, plastics, hard bodies hooks,swivels, metal slugs, plenty of different leaders and i am also taking 3 rods over. A heavy a medium and a light outfit. Flying into Queenstown staying there 2 nights then winging it through the south island then over to the north, any tips on spots to fish etc would be a great help! I want to target kingys and snapper and big salmon from the rocks and beach and maybe get a trout fish in if i have time lol
Cheers Nick

Tomcat1

Re: New Zealand

Post by Tomcat1 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:38 pm

when i was over there i just fished off of the local piers. Caught a few garfish which they call piper over there and used them as live bait under a balloon for the kingies. also used small yellowtails for bait for the kingies. the tides where i was at were really big so set up a paternoster rig with 2 squid jigs and just drop them mid water column next to the piers for lots of big squid. the tide flow swims the jigs for you so you just let it sit and they will come. for the salmon i wasnt catching a lot on lures like we do here but caught a bunch with bonito strips for bait.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:54 pm

from queenstown you'd be a nutter not to try the mataura river for a bit it's a top class trout fishery. can't give any advice for anything other than trout fishing over there but shoot me a pm if you have any questions about trout. make sure you check the regs for the province you're in as they do differ.

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

nickb123

Post by nickb123 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:57 pm

cheers guys for all your help!!! can't wait to get over there and try something different
Cheers Nick

nickb123

Post by nickb123 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:01 pm

Tomcat1 wrote:when i was over there i just fished off of the local piers. Caught a few garfish which they call piper over there and used them as live bait under a balloon for the kingies. also used small yellowtails for bait for the kingies. the tides where i was at were really big so set up a paternoster rig with 2 squid jigs and just drop them mid water column next to the piers for lots of big squid. the tide flow swims the jigs for you so you just let it sit and they will come. for the salmon i wasnt catching a lot on lures like we do here but caught a bunch with bonito strips for bait.
What part of NZ were you fishing tom?
Cheers Nick

eslop

Post by eslop » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:47 pm

How far north are you heading? My cousin runs a charter boat around northland. 20kg kingys and cracker snapper. They also do kayak tours.
Cheers, Scott.

pb's
Murray Cod: 92 on spinnerbait, 81 on surface lure, 74 on bait
Golden Perch: 49 on TN60
Redfin: 41 on TN60
Brown Trout: 68 on SP
Rainbow: maybe 10
Mudmarlin: 78

nickb123

Post by nickb123 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:40 pm

eslop wrote:How far north are you heading? My cousin runs a charter boat around northland. 20kg kingys and cracker snapper. They also do kayak tours.
Going as far north as Auckland mate and flying out from Auckland
Cheers Nick

Return to “The Rest of the World”