Phuket

Freakazoid

Phuket

Post by Freakazoid » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:10 pm

:a_goodjob:
Currently in Phuket on a holiday with some friends from Melbourne. I couldn't go such a long time without wetting a line so we booked a private boat with thai guides who took us out near Koh Racha Yai off Phuket in this rickety old vessel. After about an hour of travel we threw our lines out and soon enough I caught my very first small Tuna! We caught a stack of fish which the deckie cooked up for us in various traditional Thai soups and snacks, all delicious. We also had a chance to go snorkeling with the colourful fish in a secluded bay on the island which was simply incredible. I wish I could go again!

Some of our fish...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (97.37 KiB) Viewed 900 times

nick

Re: Phuket

Post by nick » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:06 pm

well done and great report

if you have time have a look at this page and try and get here.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attractio ... vince.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

good luck

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Post by seephil » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:11 pm

Great fishing in Phuket! Nice warm weather and the seas aren't too rough. Is that a queenfish at the bottom?

melaco

Post by melaco » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:14 pm

Hey Freakazoid, I'm travelling there next Wednesday! How highly would you recommend that charter and what sort of price would I be looking at? I'm traveling in a group of 5 but they're not interested in fishing. So it would have to be a join in charter

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:50 pm

Not bad at all something to remember the holiday by

spudtrans
Has liked: 31 times

Post by spudtrans » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:36 pm

well done, great catch

Freakazoid

Post by Freakazoid » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:13 pm

Melaco, we paid $10,000THB which was ridiculously cheap split 5 ways. We got onto them through a Kiwi friend who was over here too who had been before so I'm vague on details apart from knowing they wore purple shirts and left from Phuket town lol. Most other charters we saw were anywhere up to $20-40,000THB for a private boat. Im not sure how you would go by yourself as they generally charge for hire of the boat overall rather than X amount per person. I'd just shop around the different travel shops where you are staying or go to the pier in Phuket town and haggle a good price. IMO the fishing has been up there with the best thing I've done in Thailand, food and drink were all included, the snorkeling and personal touch of having just our little group island hopping far and away beat the mass sightseeing tours we did to Koh Phi Phi...etc. Every operator will cover different areas and fish, some more flexible than others. Have a great time regardless!

Seephil, I think it may be a small queen fish... We were a bit lost in translation with our deckie lol she only really knew how to say "thank you" and "TOOOOONAAAA"

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:58 pm

Nice fishing
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

melaco

Post by melaco » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:21 pm

Well if you're still there between the 11th-21st of Feb and keen to go out again let me know! :r

Freakazoid

Post by Freakazoid » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:46 am

:cry: Wish I could stay longer but heading back to Melbourne 2morro

Return to “The Rest of the World”