Fiji November

hanboy
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Fiji November

Post by hanboy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:05 am

Kimtown wrote:So went for a snorkel today just around the resort seen a small GT (maybe 5kg's?) just cruise past me in only about 1.5m of water. Really couldn't believe it

Also seen a black tip at the drop off yesterday. I know they aren't dangerous but it still was eerie and I was a bit scared lol. It was just cruising around slowly like how the big Whites do in documentaries and crap. I would kinda lose sight of it in the distance and just see a black figure floating around mid column. When swiming away was kinda scared it was gonna sneak up and bite me on the ass lol

If that wasnt scary enough I was talking to a diver at the resort and he said he seen his first Bull... 7 foot or so. **** that. I kept telling myself their were no bulls or tigers in these waters and this pr*ck just ruined it for me :(

Got a GT popping charter booked in 3 hours. The fishing is apparently really slow here at the moment, but fingers crossed!

Hahaha told you they come in real close man.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:53 am

Winds picked up and getting worse. Today's charter was cancelled :( hopefully it improves tomorrow

And yep, you guys were bang on the money! A few other snorkelers seen GT too. Not sure if it's just a local one that cruises in the shallows because they seen it in the exact same spot.

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:07 pm

At night, you could even catch tigers and bulls off those flats. Love the tropics
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:10 pm

What do they charge for a case of Soft Peach Cruisers over there?

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:15 pm

smokin_reels wrote:At night, you could even catch tigers and bulls off those flats. Love the tropics
Bro.......
Mattblack wrote:What do they charge for a case of Soft Peach Cruisers over there?
Bro......

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:23 am

Well the fishing charter was a major disappointment but oh well

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:10 am

No fish? Poor Tackle? Bad Guides what was wrong?

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:49 am

rb85 wrote:No fish? Poor Tackle? Bad Guides what was wrong?
Combination of everything plus very rough seas

Second cast popping for GT the handle on the old rusty saragossa broke off, so that meant we only had drum reels to troll with from then on. The tiagra was quite new and in good condition, but the tyrnos was beaten up and clunked like an old mountain bike gearing each turn of the handle. Had 1 hit on the tiagra rod which had like an old wooden xrap style diver but didn't hook up. Other than just managed a monster slimey (like 60cm) on the hand line. I'd have cut it into fresh chunks and bottom bashed with it for coral trout or whatever reef species but the operator (who was actually a nice bloke) was more keen on eating it himself, lol.

Not too mention one of the outboard (a mercury seapro or something) ****** up and wouldn't start when we got to the furthest reef which cut trolling time by pretty much half as we had to limp back home with just the 1 motor

Oh well, what's $320 :oops:

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:15 am

I think i just bite the bullet and do a calypso charter out of exmouth, darwin and cairnes.. All the overseas charters have been pretty disappointing and quite expensive for facilities/time on water

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:56 am

Unfortunately it’s a bit of hit and miss with 3rd world operators. Namotu Island is trying to ramp up their fishing program you pay a premium though.

Return to “The Rest of the World”