Fiji November

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Fiji November

Post by Kimtown » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:01 am

Made a thread a while back (can't find it for the life of me) discussing travel options for both a fun and enjoyable holiday for my partner and I, but also a good fishing destination for myself.

Few options were Vanuatu, Somoa, NZ etc. but went with Fiji as a couple people suggested. Everything is booked for November and can't wait.

Anyone done any fishing here? Is it worth taking a few of my own things and hire a jetski for a few days and go find some reefs (won't have to look far) or just book a charter or 2 (recommendations are welcome once again for anyone that's been there)

Spending 5 nights in a private villa in tokoro then 4 nights in a resort in Nadi. My understanding is there is plenty of charter options in Nadi...?

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Fiji November

Post by Mattblack » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:29 am

I'd recommend leaving your gear at home & getting on a charter....Great place to go to relax, but not a fan of the local beer.

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:21 am

I reckon you'll have no trouble finding a fishing charter there, I've been there twice but never went on a charter. stayed on the Coral Coast at the Naviti Resort for two weeks. took a bus into Sigatoka & bought a fishing rod, reel, lures & tackle and fished from the shore in front of the resort.. caught heaps of trevally and fish that I didn't know what they were but the locals loved them. Spent a lot of time at a small village next to the resort where the workers lived, drank quite a lot of Kava too.. boy that really packs a punch.. you must try some when you're there.. You'll love Fiji, it's a beautiful place to visit and the Fijians are so friendly, lovely people..
Watch it if you go shopping as the Indians run most of the stores there and they want you to barter for just about every item you pick up..

Have a great trip... :thumbsup:
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:31 pm

Mattblack wrote:I'd recommend leaving your gear at home & getting on a charter....Great place to go to relax, but not a fan of the local beer.
Yeah that's probably the go. Between the snorkeling, drinking, tours and more drinking I'll probably only get 1 day to go fishing (weather permitting) so probably no reason to drag all my stuff over there just for 1 day.
meppstas wrote:I reckon you'll have no trouble finding a fishing charter there, I've been there twice but never went on a charter. stayed on the Coral Coast at the Naviti Resort for two weeks. took a bus into Sigatoka & bought a fishing rod, reel, lures & tackle and fished from the shore in front of the resort.. caught heaps of trevally and fish that I didn't know what they were but the locals loved them. Spent a lot of time at a small village next to the resort where the workers lived, drank quite a lot of Kava too.. boy that really packs a punch.. you must try some when you're there.. You'll love Fiji, it's a beautiful place to visit and the Fijians are so friendly, lovely people..
Watch it if you go shopping as the Indians run most of the stores there and they want you to barter for just about every item you pick up..

Have a great trip... :thumbsup:
cheers
Adrian
Thanks for the advice mate! Appreciate it.

I've been to bali and thailand and I'm done with shopping and bartering. The missus can go deal with that if she wants to. I'll keep the pool bar occupied!

Redzia90

Post by Redzia90 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:56 pm

Hi mate . I stayed at sofitel denarau .. i read plenty of reports saying land based fishing was no good . I was comtenplating leaving the gear at home , but i took a light spin rod and a box of lures . I was glad i did , i smashed it . I was catching barracuda , small gts , giant needle fish , queenies and these perch like things .
I was also taking the kayaks out and trolling lures and doing well . I was giving my fish to the kayak rental workers and they ended up giving me the kayak free of charge ( its only cheap anyway , about 20 fiji dollars a hour )

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:52 am

Redzia90 wrote:Hi mate . I stayed at sofitel denarau .. i read plenty of reports saying land based fishing was no good . I was comtenplating leaving the gear at home , but i took a light spin rod and a box of lures . I was glad i did , i smashed it . I was catching barracuda , small gts , giant needle fish , queenies and these perch like things .
I was also taking the kayaks out and trolling lures and doing well . I was giving my fish to the kayak rental workers and they ended up giving me the kayak free of charge ( its only cheap anyway , about 20 fiji dollars a hour )
Ok this has definitely got me in the mood now lol

Is taking rods on planes a pretty simple task? Should I be looking at a 2 piece in say a meter or so of 50mm PVC with end caps? Or 3 piece/telescoping and stuff it in my luggage?

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:52 am

Be worth reading up in fiji fishing rights. From my understanding traditional villagers have the rights to different reef areas. Doesn’t mean tourists cannot there’s just local laws/customs to be aware of. I’m sure it won’t be a problem as in the pacific the catch usually goes back to the locals

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:23 am

rb85 wrote:Be worth reading up in fiji fishing rights. From my understanding traditional villagers have the rights to different reef areas. Doesn’t mean tourists cannot there’s just local laws/customs to be aware of. I’m sure it won’t be a problem as in the pacific the catch usually goes back to the locals
Yeah for sure. I'm sure the guys at my resort will know the local rules and I'm sure they will have big smiles if I manage to take a coral trout back to them

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:48 pm

It won’t be a problem but it does pay to stay woke the local Fijians workers are very friendly and will help you anyway they can. Be mindful the resort pays them stuff all.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:37 pm

Lol

Return to “The Rest of the World”