Fiji November

Redzia90

Re: Fiji November

Post by Redzia90 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:46 pm

Yeh iv heard that too about fishing rights . But on denarau its owned by the hotels and is private , locals are not allowed to fish there the barman was telling me , kayak rental people also said the same . Felt abit sorry for them really . I gave them one of my rods at the end of the holiday , just a cheapish shimano setup and a box full of lures .

As for rods , i took a rod tube with 2 rods in it both 2 piece . I think the tube is 1500mm long i think , its a cheap rouge one from bcf . I f€%ked up tho because we flew business over and my rod tube was not charged ( extra luggage ) but on the way back we flew economy and the extra luggage was not included ..200 fiji dollars to get it back .. robbing buggers. If it wasnt my t curve my dad bought me i would have left it ha .

I caught all my fish on lures up to 75mm
Most on 55mm surface lures

I was throwing a 100mm popper for ages and had no luck .

There are some huge fish knocking around , on my first session i saw a load of bait fish spook at the end of my rod tip about 3 meter out from where i was stood and a huge gt cruised past . My heart skipped a beat when i saw that thing lol . Never had it tho . Next time i go im taking small hooks to catch some livies ..... then ill get the bugger .

I went in august and it was hot but abit windy , when the wind picks up and i was out in the kayak it got abit murky from the sand being churned up by the tide and wind so i would take really flashy chrome lures with rattles in .. x-raps etc .

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:15 pm

Thanks for all that info redzia. What part of Fiji were you kayaking out of?

Redzia90

Post by Redzia90 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:15 pm

Just the beach at denarau island , nr nadi . Iv tried uploading a picture but it says the file is too big . There is a island about 1km off the beach which has still got a tribe on it , i wasnt gonna go that far ( wasnt allowed anyway ) i was just trolling lures , no idea what speed i was suppose to be going etc i just went at a comfertable pace so i didnt get too puffed out , the kayaks are not set up for fishing they are just for your average beach goer , so i had my rod inbetween my legs facing backwards and when i got a hit the rod slammed into my thigh , ( i had the drag set so the fish could take a little line but still get a hook up . You just have to be carefull with the ore because im sure if you drop it and it sinks there will be a fine to pay .. it can get abit tricky with a 1 meter giant needle fish flapping aroud between your feet bit its a experience . Id never done kayak fishing before ,always wanted to , i want to buy a hobie pro angler 14 but everytime i saved enough something else needed paying for , new car , kid etc . Btw dont worry about sinking them kayaks either if you are a big guy , im 6'5 and 115kg and if i didnt sink it no one would .. haha . I forgot to mention too , take some decent pliers ( foreceps ) for getting the trebles out .. you dont want to go putting your fingers in them giant needlefish's mouths .

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:17 am

Thanks for all that advice mate! Do you know if you were trolling over reef or not? Or just winging it anywhere lol

I'm on one of the islands out of the west for 5 nights. I feel that would be easier access to the reefs by kayak than denerau

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:57 am

Mattblack wrote:I'd recommend leaving your gear at home & getting on a charter....Great place to go to relax, but not a fan of the local beer.
Ok it's getting close. I'm gonna start booking some charters while in Denerau

Any reccomendations?

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:49 am

Kimtown wrote:
Mattblack wrote:I'd recommend leaving your gear at home & getting on a charter....Great place to go to relax, but not a fan of the local beer.

Any reccomendations?
Yeah...buy a few of cases of beer in town as the resort prices are outrageous

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:30 am

Mattblack wrote:
Kimtown wrote:

Any reccomendations?
Yeah...buy a few of cases of beer in town as the resort prices are outrageous
Duly noted :thumbsup:

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:16 am

"Malolo" charters in denerau? Anyone used?
Reviews are good. Bit of mixture between game trolling, popper casting and bottom bashing on reefs. Sounds alright

Prices are a lot more than i expected but w/e I'm on holidays lol

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:25 am

Kimtown wrote:

Any reccomendations?
bump

still haven't managed to find one yet

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:41 am

Also other than soft plastics I have next to zero lures , what should I be looking at taking over their for small reefies when I hire a kayak?

Return to “The Rest of the World”