Tropical Fish and Another Wedding

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Tropical Fish and Another Wedding

Post by smokin_reels » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:52 am

I just got back home from another trip to India and what a truly amazing time was had.
I tried my best this time to record every aspect of it, so that I could share with you all a glimpse.
I even ordered new mounts and batteries for the GoPro.
Figured if nothing else, I would make an ambitious compilation of me doing nothing.

I landed in Bangalore, India. With wedding number 2 (to the same lucky and very patient lady) about 10 days away, I knew that my chance to get some fishing time in was quickly diminishing. A quick suit fitting was done on Day 1, some family face time and a meal or two.
Day 2 had me whisked away with a couple of friends to a lovely syndicate lake that I have written about previously.
quietlake.JPG
The Species on offer vary from a myriad of Native Indian Carp , Snakehead, Mahseer and the ever present Tilapia.
I know , I know , the moment I mention the C word there may have been some eye rolling, but these are mostly Mid-Water Filter Feeding fish that Crack off like hell hounds. The other species get taken on fly, lure, livebait , plastics. My personal favourite way of lure fishing this little spot of heaven is to throw the bream gear and hope for the best.

In preparation for this Trip, Mazman had procured a 2-5 Kilo Majorcraft days ; paired with a 2500 Stradic Ci4+ running 12lb tasline and 26lb Lowstretch Asso Flouro leader. It proved sufficient for the most part, and only got thoroughly undergunned on one take. An eventuality I was anticipating.
My other outfit was 1-3 Kilo Majorcraft Skyroad paired with a Luvias 2004 , running 6lb. I only took this along for ***** and Giggles.

The Cottage that we stayed at was 2.5 Hrs outside the southern Indian city of Bangalore, we left early to beat the traffic and had multiple stops along the way to sneak in some food and coffee.

We were greeted with muddy water from the recently concluded monsoonal flooding and I knew I had my work cut out.
There were also an unusual number of Pi Dogs about, they seem to have been busy! they even climbed into the car when we pulled up.
Was a real treat to have them running amok and helped pass the time, such intelligent animals. Smarts born out of dodging Leopards.

The bait mixes for the Carp had to be more cloudy and fragrant and I wasnt sure what lures to get the predators on.
Luckily, id taken all my plastics along and some bream hard bodies, figured i'd work through and isolate what they were feeding on.

I had only 2 days to fish and I was going to try my best to catch em all.

The bait concoction for the carp smelt straight out of a bakery ; powdered milk biscuit, ground cardamom seed, Sweets made out of Indian Cottage cheese, Jaggery ( A raw Cane Sugar ) , sponge cake and some more bits and bobs. All ground together and into a nice dough like mix that would disintegrate when in the water and form a cloud of flavours that would have the filter feeding fish floating about looking for a popped-up hook bait.
If anyone is travelling to the subcontinent and wants to dabble in this sort of fishing, drop me a PM.

A couple of rods in the water, hardly had time to sit back in our chairs, when there was that tell tale Whirr of a baitrunner. Music to my ears! The fish liked our bait!

A short fight later, A gorgeous Mrigal was netted. I had never caught this species of fish before and I was well pleased. All the effort was worth it already. After admiring the sleek slab for a bit, back into the drink it went.
Interestingly, Common Carp are invasive to India as well. Another legacy of the colonial rule, the club has a strict catch and dispatch for all Common Carp.
Mrigal resized.jpg

Rebaited and recasted out.

Tap, Tap, Tap. No whirs this time, just a continual pick and drop. The pesky Tilapia, bait stealing experts.
They make EXCELLENT eating.
One form of by catch that I really dont mind.

A bottle of Duty Free rum had been procured in anticipation of this eventuality, made for a cracking evening.
As Darkness fell, we could feel the anticipation build as we knew the Catla , a close relative of the Siamese Carp would be out and about feeding.
They were out primary target.

Owen, who taught me how to fish when I was a pup had taken the time out of his busy schedule to join me on this trip.
Likely to check and see how his erstwhile young pupil was faring.
As we were digging into deep fried spicy Tilapia and commenting on how this could make a case for the best eating freshwater fish out there,
His rod buckled over and he was in!!
Deep fried Tilapia.jpg
Some careful angling in the dark and about 25 min into the fight, an 8 kilo Catla was in our hands!
Lovely bluish hues, thick powerful shoulders. The trickiest bit, soft cartilaginous mouths.For a species that can grow up to 150lbs in some impoundment's they really do have a gentle gob. the lightest of drags has to be used, in combination with strong light gauge hooks that are really sharp.
Owen's Big Catla.jpg
A shot in the dark and she was back to pack on some more weight for my return next year!

A few more rums, and there was that tell tale Shimano clicker again.
Owen's 6'8'' and has strides like a giraffe, he beat me to the rod, stopped and let me pick it up. I gratefully stuck into a 6 Kilo fish that out up a good account of itself.
My big catla.jpg
----My Catla---

After this point, after a lost fish or two. We decided to call it quits. Partially to ration the rum.

Day 2 had me get more actively chase the predators. Given that the bait fishing had been slow on day 1, I opted to try my best and feed some of the locals some plastics.

The snakehead seem to have been breeding well, they were all over the smaller plastics.

Strangely, I didnt get any of the other usual suspects.
We jumped into the car and drove across to another lake, in the hopes that this would hold more eager fish.

Jumped into a Coracle , a circular boat that traditionally is made out of Buffalo Hide, very shallow in design. Made to transport large loads over rapids, skimming the surface and avoiding the rocks.

The one we had for the day was, deeper and made out of fibreglass.
We stalked the water hyacinth margins, primarily chucked topwater baits in the hopes of getting a large snakehead.
I do not know if it was the water quality or the time of day\year. The big fish were just missing!

I switched to 2.5 Inch SlimSwimz in Motoroil , after having no touches on the grub.

Bump, bump, bump, boom!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEcJbIiZZJg

Another Tilapia doing its best Nong Bream impression!
Into the boat to meet some rum later.

From then on, it was easier work. Mahseer , Snakehead and Tilapia alike munching on the slimswimz, had me busy.
Mahseer.jpg
Snakehead.jpg

My friends at home, who have been blanking on the same lakes for a while now, started asking me questions on the gear I was using :rofl:

Better small fish, than no fish :super:

Back in camp, properly chuffed, had me a do a quick lap which resulted in my biggest snakehead for the trip.
Again not breaking any records here, but put a smile on my dial.
Big Snakehead.jpg

We headed home shortly after. I had a lot of work to do! Showing the Yankee In-laws around the tiger sanctuaries that I had visited as a child, ate street food in the busy streets of Bombay, copious amounts of cheap whiskey in the numerous bars in Bangalore. I figured if they flew all the way to the subcontinent, it would be good to let them soak in as much of India as humanely possible in the 9-10 days that they were there.

Along with all the fan fare of an Indian wedding.
Went of smoothly, I am now twice married in about 6 months.
Still working out what anniversary to celebrate and shutting down the nonsensical talk of having a 3rd wedding in Australia.
If we go 3/3 Weddings in countries, i'd be collecting wedding certificates as a new hobby.

Blushing bride in tow, we flew back through Singapore.
AL.jpeg
I was properly knackered on the flight back, the sheer exhaustion of smiling and shaking hands had caught up to me.
I must have picked up a bug off some sort ; the fever and cold have passed but I am still coughing while i still write up this report. Just making me more thankful that none of my guests took a hit and it was just old me that had to deal with all of this. Nothing that OTC antibiotics wont fix :rofl:

Jetlagged and bored. Windy Saturday.
Back at it!
:water:

The bream on the Nong were sure happy to have me back!!! :super:
Breamnong.jpg
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

smokin_reels

Re: Tropical Fish and Another Wedding

Post by smokin_reels » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:55 am

Little Snakehead , loved the 1-3
tiddlersnake.jpg

A tilapia. The menace of waters everywhere
Tilapia bycatch.jpg
Ive got a LOT more pics! :)
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:22 am

Nice report mate! The bream are calling..

Cheers, Anth

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:51 am

Wow mate what a report!!!
Thanks for sharing it with us.
I thoroughly enjoyed the read and looking at all the photos!
Cheers :thumbsup:

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:20 am

Lightningx wrote:Wow mate what a report!!!
Couldn't agree more
Cheers Gra

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:51 pm

Epic report mate and some great pics, well done, cheers davo :a_goodjob:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:53 pm

that's a fantastic holiday you had there

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:44 pm

barra mick wrote:that's a fantastic holiday you had there
Thats what it turned out to be Mick! Was brilliant!

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:45 pm

davek wrote:Epic report mate and some great pics, well done, cheers davo :a_goodjob:

Thanks Davo

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:45 pm

Texas wrote:
Lightningx wrote:Wow mate what a report!!!
Couldn't agree more
Cheers Gra

Cheers guys

Return to “The Rest of the World”