Trout fishing in England

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Trout fishing in England

Post by rb85 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:21 pm

Enjoying a Saturday evening watching good old Ch31 fishing programs got to love community TV, one of the shows was On the fly. Unfortunately I was prepping dinner whilst watching but they were fishing steams in England for trout and mentioned a few times a booking agent. Some of the poms here may be able to clarify things but from what I understand in some parts of England fishing in streams is a privilege for those who can afford to pay for access or own the land unlike Australia where usually we are allowed bank access to fish in most locations. Remember the great abc program A River Somewhere when they went to england they fished streams only accessed by societies "Elite".

Is my interpretation of things correct or is the public allowed access.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Re: Trout fishing in England

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:29 pm

Dont definitively know - but thought the same as what you detailed in your post.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:06 pm

Your thoughts are correct most trout river/ streams are owned by someone you need to be a club member or owner to fish said rivers/ streams. Very few places to fish for free although the lakes in the Lake District are free as long as you have a licence.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:58 am

Nude up wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:06 pm
Your thoughts are correct most trout river/ streams are owned by someone you need to be a club member or owner to fish said rivers/ streams. Very few places to fish for free although the lakes in the Lake District are free as long as you have a licence.
Thanks for the info glad we don’t have to follow those ancient oppressive laws. If I end up going I’ll leave the loomis at home.

Expomnowcon
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Expomnowcon » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:22 pm

Yeah it is mainly club waters (where you have to pay subs to fish a particular stretch of river or a lake). But it's unlikely you'd ever get caught if you did go on a club water ("poaching"), I came across maybe 2 bailiffs fishing rivers in about 20 years of fishing in England haha. Stocked lakes usually have someone on there...but wild waters were much easier to get away with.

There is a "classist" attitude from a lot of fly fishermen and it was from my perspective quite wanky back there, I fished for pike and perch and would sometimes pull a trout out. However the club funds are meant to be invested in preservation of the spots (like cleaning up rubbish or maintaining bushes/riverbanks for ease of angling). But it's also like most things in society, a low key status thing and people would pre-register for years ahead to be able to fish certain waters

Muuuuch better fishing over here

Return to “The Rest of the World”