An interesting read

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

An interesting read

Post by 4liters » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:14 pm

Just saw this come up on another forum. We don't have anywhere near the amount of money involved in fishing comps compared to the US but there's always still the odd rumour floating around about people tethering cod or whatever. I wonder how much of it really goes on.

https://sdfish.com/general/dark-secret- ... mike-long/
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Re: An interesting read

Post by April Fool » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:42 pm

It took me a while but I actually read it all!!! This says something about the quality of the article as I usually don't have the patience to read long winded articles.

I have no doubt some anglers will cheat in a comp but could not hazard a guess how prevalent it would be. Reality is many anglers who are fishing for a feed or for fun will flaunt basic fishing regs. To what extent will they go to if there are big dollars on offer in a comp?

On another note, the ranger in the article who was allowing some prominent anglers privileged access to his lake so they could promote it...I thought of Hazelwood barra for some reason!!!!
Cheers
Team Bender
Catches FA but prides himself in strict adherance to the rules.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:17 pm

April Fool wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:42 pm

I have no doubt some anglers will cheat in a comp but could not hazard a guess how prevalent it would be. Reality is many anglers who are fishing for a feed or for fun will flaunt basic fishing regs. To what extent will they go to if there are big dollars on offer in a comp?

Cheers
Team Bender
Catches FA but prides himself in strict adherence to the rules.

There is always, unfortunately, the unscrupulous element when there is any money involved, especially perceived "free" money.

The same issues were bantered around the Whyalla Snapper Comp. Not tethering but more "Banking" a previously caught fish and returning it on the day of the Comp. We use to do a lad's Week in Whyalla, a month or two after the Comp Weekend (which was held at Easter) and never the Comp. We were about the week away rather than the fish , , , , oh, and BBQ breakfast, lunch and tea (had the Caravan Park occupants around our two Cabins late one night with the smell of a Midnight BBQ , , , , which we did share :) it would have been cruel not to)

But spoke to the Fisheries Officers a few times , , , , one did mention laughingly the "Hazy Eyed Snapper" being entered. The fish's eyes (for those that don't know) goes hazy after being caught and kept for a while , , , , a good indicator when buying fish, if they are actually fresh. But because "ill kept" Snapper do the same, it was hard to address in the Comp.

Cheers, who gives his utmost respect to whom ever "prides himself in strict adherence to the rules" as Bugatti's do the same
Last edited by Bugatti on Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:30 pm

Was a decent read but ran out of time and got lost on a lot of the silly American mannerisms

Someone tl;Dr the rest for me please

GusG
Has liked: 41 times

Post by GusG » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:02 am

Mate!!! How shifty is that bloke. He is the Lance Armstrong of american bass fishing.

It is really sad that this sort of thing takes place but you look at the fame, money and fishing gear the guy got. I'm not condoning it but you can see why the bloke would be temped and once he started he couldn't stop.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:22 pm

Very good read. No doubt this stuff happens here. Not to the extent of what happened in the article because our prize's aren't huge, but I'm sure people have caught a fish on a certain lure and said they caught it on something else to push a product..

I've always kept a level head when it comes to fishing and the gear used. I don't get caught up in all the hype of the new baits or gear that catch the "big fish". I'll usually look for lures or gear myself and go off what they actually do, not what some pro fisho says.. Sort of like this 1kg swimbaits and the like for cod.. Then come the bigger rods.. and the bigger reels.. You have to understand that there is a lot of money in fishing tackle sales and people will say anything or push whatever to get a piece of the pie. It's business after all..

Cheers, Anth

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:20 pm

The prizes offered at US bass Fishing tournaments will make any Australian fishing tournament organiser cringe!!!
so it doesnt come as a suprise that people will do anything to win when the prizes offered are bass boats loaded to the bream with the latest and greatest, cars, trucks and things like that.

catching fish on bait and then using a lure in the pics for propoganda has been done to death
or lead being shoven down the mouths of fish so they weigh more!!
fish kept in keeper nets and GPS coordinates given to the fisherman.
lots of ways to cheat in a tournament

and dont even start about the gear used, have heard many stories of fish caught on bait and then a lure of the appropriate brand has been hung on the fishes lip, photo taken and published in the mags..

lots of marketing gimmicks around to get people to spend money!
the size of swimbaits these days are ernomous, needless to say its not going to get very far imo!!
i wonder what this years AFTA will bring?

ben475
Has liked: 160 times

Post by ben475 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:19 pm

that sure was a long story.
interesting, not overly surprising, there's shifty's in everything.

what was surprising according to the story was despite fishing with some other supposed gun fishermen he never really learnt to become a decent fisherman himself, perhaps too pre occupied with his shenanigans to notice how the other guys caught their fish.

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:35 pm

I for one am sick to death of the hype around these big fishing comps and think it is well past time for the government to curb and regulate them - but I know that won't happen, there is too much vested interest involved. If the reins aren't pulled in it will end up like the USA.

Do these comps produce any benefit for the fisheries?

Years ago when I was involved with the earliest fish stockings in Queensland a very wise regulation was brought in. Large freshwater comps could only be run to raise money for improving the fishery, at that time purchasing fingerlings to stock. Local groups were running raffles etc to raise money to stock fish and once they started to get results the tackle companies, fishing gurus, etc started to move in. That's when the government wisely acted and said that if you want a piece of the action contribute.

I think this should be happening down here. Comps should be run for the benefit of all and in particular the fishery. They should be used as a means of raising funds, not just to stock fish, but to pay for habitat improvement, research, etc.

I think the prizes are getting way over the top. The honour of winning the comp with some sort of of trophy should be enough motivation. The tackle and boating industry are important players and should be able to showcase their products, but its getting to the point where they are at times highjacking our sport. Instead of sponsoring these events they should be sponsoring things to help the fishery.

Wouldn't it be great if the Mulwala Classic, Eildon Classic, all these classics in this state was used to raise funds to breed Macquarie perch and restore a once great fishery?

Best Wishes

Truedogz

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:55 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:20 pm
The prizes offered at US bass Fishing tournaments will make any Australian fishing tournament organiser cringe!!!
so it doesnt come as a suprise that people will do anything to win when the prizes offered are bass boats loaded to the bream with the latest and greatest, cars, trucks and things like that.

catching fish on bait and then using a lure in the pics for propoganda has been done to death
or lead being shoven down the mouths of fish so they weigh more!!
fish kept in keeper nets and GPS coordinates given to the fisherman.
lots of ways to cheat in a tournament

and dont even start about the gear used, have heard many stories of fish caught on bait and then a lure of the appropriate brand has been hung on the fishes lip, photo taken and published in the mags..

lots of marketing gimmicks around to get people to spend money!
the size of swimbaits these days are ernomous, needless to say its not going to get very far imo!!
i wonder what this years AFTA will bring?
Sound like youtought about I lots mate.
Been cheated before?

Return to “The Rest of the World”