purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: An interesting read

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:27 am

smile0784 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:55 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:20 pm
The prizes offered at US bass Fishing tournaments will make any Australian fishing tournament organiser cringe!!!
so it doesnt come as a suprise that people will do anything to win when the prizes offered are bass boats loaded to the bream with the latest and greatest, cars, trucks and things like that.

catching fish on bait and then using a lure in the pics for propoganda has been done to death
or lead being shoven down the mouths of fish so they weigh more!!
fish kept in keeper nets and GPS coordinates given to the fisherman.
lots of ways to cheat in a tournament

and dont even start about the gear used, have heard many stories of fish caught on bait and then a lure of the appropriate brand has been hung on the fishes lip, photo taken and published in the mags..

lots of marketing gimmicks around to get people to spend money!
the size of swimbaits these days are ernomous, needless to say its not going to get very far imo!!
i wonder what this years AFTA will bring?
Sound like youtought about I lots mate.
Been cheated before?
Nah, im not there to win podium positions, besides the prizes offered are just not worth the effort to cheat your way to a win.
As for being cheated on, that’s not how it works, the comps I fish have a minimum of 30 teams and can get as high as up to 65 teams. So if your cheating, your doing it to the whole field not just one team.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:28 am

Truedogz wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:35 pm
I for one am sick to death of the hype around these big fishing comps and think it is well past time for the government to curb and regulate them - but I know that won't happen, there is too much vested interest involved. If the reins aren't pulled in it will end up like the USA.

Do these comps produce any benefit for the fisheries?

Years ago when I was involved with the earliest fish stockings in Queensland a very wise regulation was brought in. Large freshwater comps could only be run to raise money for improving the fishery, at that time purchasing fingerlings to stock. Local groups were running raffles etc to raise money to stock fish and once they started to get results the tackle companies, fishing gurus, etc started to move in. That's when the government wisely acted and said that if you want a piece of the action contribute.

I think this should be happening down here. Comps should be run for the benefit of all and in particular the fishery. They should be used as a means of raising funds, not just to stock fish, but to pay for habitat improvement, research, etc.

I think the prizes are getting way over the top. The honour of winning the comp with some sort of of trophy should be enough motivation. The tackle and boating industry are important players and should be able to showcase their products, but its getting to the point where they are at times highjacking our sport. Instead of sponsoring these events they should be sponsoring things to help the fishery.

Wouldn't it be great if the Mulwala Classic, Eildon Classic, all these classics in this state was used to raise funds to breed Macquarie perch and restore a once great fishery?

Best Wishes

Truedogz
You'd either need a current Vicbream/abt style live weigh in comp to gain broodstock. The competitor numbers would be smaller due to adequate live well facility constraints in most boats. And you'd still have to heavily incentivise as many participants as possible to pay for the transfer and handling of said stock.

Or the usual catch/kill, catch/photo/release style comps where entry fees are increased with that portion being donated to the likes of NFA, VFA or catchment management authorities by way of purchasing things like log hides or boulders etc. And again, the incentives will have to remain fairly large to get enough participants to make the donation portion substantial enough to be worthwhile. An extra $10pp for a comp like Go fish Nagambie that is donated to the cause wouldnt affect numbers due to the prize incentives and ends up a worthwhile figure, but if the comp was only 25% of the size then the money component isn't really worth peoples time. And it's peoples time and perception of possibilities you've got to win over in order to make a meaningful contribution

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:22 pm

That was a great read!
Very interesting indeed.
Cheers :thumbsup:

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:20 pm

Long read i did over a few days on the train, toilet, etc lol.

Cliff notes - dude cheated his way into record books, money etc over 20 years (?). Was a long slow process for others to catch on, increased regs slowly introduced which made the ways of cheating more complex and like managing all lies, the more you do it the harder it becomes to maintain and eventually got caught out

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:17 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:20 pm
The prizes offered at US bass Fishing tournaments will make any Australian fishing tournament organiser cringe!!!
so it doesnt come as a suprise that people will do anything to win when the prizes offered are bass boats loaded to the bream with the latest and greatest, cars, trucks and things like that.

catching fish on bait and then using a lure in the pics for propoganda has been done to death
or lead being shoven down the mouths of fish so they weigh more!!
fish kept in keeper nets and GPS coordinates given to the fisherman.
lots of ways to cheat in a tournament

and dont even start about the gear used, have heard many stories of fish caught on bait and then a lure of the appropriate brand has been hung on the fishes lip, photo taken and published in the mags..

lots of marketing gimmicks around to get people to spend money!
the size of swimbaits these days are ernomous, needless to say its not going to get very far imo!!
i wonder what this years AFTA will bring?
Think a lot of people have lost sight of what fishing is all about enjoying the outdoors, catching a few fish and having fun not posing for shots with manufacturers/sponsors products and ego stroking the subject of the article definitely was looking for a cash and ego boost.

People only need to open any fishing mag to see the tackle companies influence on the sport. Case in point is Mitch Chapmans article on blue rock in the latest Victorian Fishing Monthly magazine. For those who don't know Mitch is a passionate angler who works for EJ Todd and you would never guess the products mentioned though the article lures distributed by EJ Todd. The lures Mitch mentions do work but it hardly provides anglers with an unbiased article unmolested by the tackle industry and who pays for it all. You the consumer.

If it takes shady behaviour to gain recognition as an angler they can have it just stay away from me on the water and the ramp.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:24 pm

cobby wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:28 am
Truedogz wrote:
I for one am sick to death of the hype around these big fishing comps and think it is well past time for the government to curb and regulate them - but I know that won't happen, there is too much vested interest involved. If the reins aren't pulled in it will end up like the USA.

Years ago when I was involved with the earliest fish stockings in Queensland a very wise regulation was brought in. Large freshwater comps could only be run to raise money for improving the fishery, at that time purchasing fingerlings to stock. Local groups were running raffles etc to raise money to stock fish and once they started to get results the tackle companies, fishing gurus, etc started to move in. That's when the government wisely acted and said that if you want a piece of the action contribute.

I think this should be happening down here. Comps should be run for the benefit of all and in particular the fishery. They should be used as a means of raising funds, not just to stock fish, but to pay for habitat improvement, research, etc.

I think the prizes are getting way over the top. The honour of winning the comp with some sort of of trophy should be enough motivation. The tackle and boating industry are important players and should be able to showcase their products, but its getting to the point where they are at times highjacking our sport. Instead of sponsoring these events they should be sponsoring things to help the fishery.

Wouldn't it be great if the Mulwala Classic, Eildon Classic, all these classics in this state was used to raise funds to breed Macquarie perch and restore a once great fishery?

Best Wishes

Truedogz
You'd either need a current Vicbream/abt style live weigh in comp to gain broodstock. The competitor numbers would be smaller due to adequate live well facility constraints in most boats. And you'd still have to heavily incentivise as many participants as possible to pay for the transfer and handling of said stock.

Or the usual catch/kill, catch/photo/release style comps where entry fees are increased with that portion being donated to the likes of NFA, VFA or catchment management authorities by way of purchasing things like log hides or boulders etc. And again, the incentives will have to remain fairly large to get enough participants to make the donation portion substantial enough to be worthwhile. An extra $10pp for a comp like Go fish Nagambie that is donated to the cause wouldnt affect numbers due to the prize incentives and ends up a worthwhile figure, but if the comp was only 25% of the size then the money component isn't really worth peoples time. And it's peoples time and perception of possibilities you've got to win over in order to make a meaningful contribution
You only need to look at the Hazelwood Barra situation to see how the tackle industry hijacked something that was for the people to promote their businesses. Given the opportunity to make money the businesses will exploit it and the dishonest will lie, cheat and steal to get an advantage.

My personal views are fishing comps should be smaller grass roots event's ran by fishing clubs not large carnivals to bring the hordes in. Would also like to see Victoria go down the path of something similar to Stocked Impoundment permits for some fisheries where user pays to access. This could raise funds to create breeding programs and new fisheries for species such as Macquarie Perch.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:50 am

Lightningx wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:22 pm
That was a great read!
Very interesting indeed.
Cheers :thumbsup:
X2

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:19 am

rb85 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:24 pm
cobby wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:28 am
Truedogz wrote:

Best Wishes

Truedogz

You only need to look at the Hazelwood Barra situation to see how the tackle industry hijacked something that was for the people to promote their businesses. Given the opportunity to make money the businesses will exploit it and the dishonest will lie, cheat and steal to get an advantage.

My personal views are fishing comps should be smaller grass roots event's ran by fishing clubs not large carnivals to bring the hordes in. Would also like to see Victoria go down the path of something similar to Stocked Impoundment permits for some fisheries where user pays to access. This could raise funds to create breeding programs and new fisheries for species such as Macquarie Perch.
Everyone’s opinion of the comps will vary.
The way I see it, The comps I do (vic bream) bring in quite a bit of $$$ to the local economy
The local pubs get very busy
Local Motels get busy
Local tackle shop gets good sales
Local Fuel station gets Good business
When you have a minim of 30 teams (60 Anglers) and maximum of 65 that I have so far encountered (130 anglers) and most often a few have family or friends in tow, plus the organiser committee
You can see how much money the locals make when a comp is run in town… without the latest and greatest happening the town would just be its usual sleep old self
Generally these comps are run in areas like marlo, coota, warnambool, gippy lakes etc, which are all tourism dependent on making ends meet for the local economy.
The smaller grass roots event will never be able to match the $$$ brought in by the big boys, and lets face it in these situations money talks full stop….

Im all for stocked impoundment permits for places like Blue rock and the likes, and I must say the fisheries vic is doing a great job of stocking, breeding and allowing access for people to fish in recent times
Lets hope it onwards and upwards for them in what they are doing.
I think with time places like blue rock, bulleen merri, and the likes will only get better due to what the fisheries vic is doing..
Yes unfortunately some species are missing out, but be glad we are getting all this and not like some of the other states where nothing of the sort is happening…

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:39 pm

Truedogz wrote:

Best Wishes

Truedogz
This NEEDS to happen.

Anth

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:43 pm

Our blissful ignorance is erased once cheating has been exposed. Then our blissful ignorance is forever replaced with an under-tone of doubt and scepticism in that field.

Whatever precautions are put in place, there is still going to be the cheating element. I couldn't care one bit who comes first. I care about fair play and watching a decent contest.

It is about the contest and the sporting conquest , , , , NOT the conquering of the ill-fated vanquished.

The Australian Cricket Team have made the Semi-finals , , , , with Dave Wiener in the team, well, I couldn't care if the Aussies win the World Cup. Yes he has paid his penance. But it's his character that he has shown that is the undesirable, unforgettable. I would prefer a clean honourable loss rather than a tainted win.

The sport of Competitive Angling, unfortunately is now (if it hasn't already been) in disrepute as dispersions are cast on the integrity of the sport and it's participants, which includes Organisers. No win from this point is ever going to be truly accepted without reservation. You just have to look at the discrediting of the Tour de France.

They can do whatever they want to try and curb the cheating , , , , it doesn't change the fact that blissful ignorance has been replaced with doubt & scepticism , , , , as an "honourable win" is being replaced by a "title without conviction".

Sorry to say

Regards, Bugatti

Return to “The Rest of the World”