Re: Back from Angola

Post by Lightningx » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:37 am

Wow what a journey mate :)

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:40 pm

Day 1 – Sunday 14 July
Up at 6 am, and grabbed a cup of coffee and breakfast. Excitement is buzzing around the camp. Light winds, light seas. Supplies for the day are loaded up. We all pile into the two vehicles and head off.

Glorious sunrise

[Image

Things happen very quickly. A few minutes south of the camp the vehicles both stop and turn towards the ocean. Rods are taken off and handed to us. I brought my own spinning outfit but the other guys are using the tackle provided - Penn Battle spinning reels loaded on 11ft foot Berkley Venom Taipan rods. Some have white surface plugs and some have spoons. We head off along the beach and start throwing the artificials.
It’s not warm, not cold, a little foggy.
Behind us bigger rods are being set up in rod holders. One of the vehicles race off, and return about 1/2hr later with fresh mullet in an aerated bucket.
The guides rig all the bigger rods with twin 7/0’s and mullet on a nylon leader. I’m super excited at this point. The type of baits going in are for BIG GARRICK!

Garrick (lichia amia) are a common fish along the south African coast and right up the West African coast, and even in the Mediterranean.
Falling in the trevally family, the Garrick or Leerfish is an aggressive surface predator which can attain sizes up to 35kg.
Renowned for their powerful attacks on artificials, and strong but clean fight, the Garrick is one of the most sought-after edibles along the south african coast. Sizes over 10kg are hard to catch in south Africa, with stocks in decline for decades. It’s been a dream of mine to get a big garrick (over 15kg) for many years.

The drone is assembled. Cuta Copter Revo4.. what a machine. Each bait is dropped at around 150-200m.
By now we are all standing behind the rods, each man assuming position behind his rod as his bait is dropped.
Nothing happens for about 30min. Then the knock-knock of the rod tip for my fellow guest Gert. No mistaking it, hard and with intent. Wait.. give it time to swallow… and the reel takes off furiously.. the rod bends with force, and Gert scrambles to pull it out.. and struggles to get it out, as the force on the bending rod digs it into the holder!
He gets it out eventually and the fight begins..

A surreal scene unfolds. One hour later I pause and look to my right at the desert. I had not noticed the river mouth before.. a dead river mouth.. All around me is mayhem. 5 guys are on with 5 big Garrick. I’ve just landed my first fish at 13kg.

I’m blown away but behind my rod in a flash, as another mullet is dropped. About 10min later, on again. Same deal for me.. rod is violently jerked forward as the (loosely set) drag takes off. I tighten up and the fish just keeps going. A long screaming drag, it took about 60m I guess. I gain some and then a shorter tun and another. And so it goes. 10min later a 15kg fish in my hands.

Fish are weighed with a rope around the tail, photos and video are taken quickly and fish are released as rapidly as possible.

The guides are very conservation-minded, typical south African coastal anglers. They have been at the camp 8 weeks, and we were their 5th group this season. In another month they will leave, and the Angola coastal fishing season will be over. Their work ethic is unbelievable. Racing off to get more mullet, unhooking fish, racing around with go-pro's and cameras and scales, and all while every single fish is safely released.

Next was a 14kg

My last fish of the day felt heavier.. more powerful. After a good fight I had an 18kg on the beach. Blown away. Day one and I have already achieved my first goal!

Biggest fish for the day was 19kg, and we caught 26 between us. Incredible.

With all the manic action we had completely skipped lunch. 6 very hungry but happy blokes headed back to the camp around 4pm and had dinner. After showering we were all in bed by 9.30pm. We were exhausted!

Rod stand after an angler got to his a rod bit late.. and almost lost a rod!

Last edited by Bayrock on Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:57 pm

Wow what a day awesome story great pictures all on day one. Can’t wait for day 2

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:07 pm

JFC!!!! What a start to an awesome thread..
Well done mate, keep us entertained please!!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:30 pm

Wow just WOW... my jaw just dropped to the ground.
I’m speechless! :o_0:
Talk about amazing fishing!!!
And that’s just day 1??? Far out!!!

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:26 am

Long day But let the fun begin

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:32 am

Bayrock wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:40 pm
Day 1 – Sunday 14 July 2019
Up at 6 am, and grabbed a cup of coffee and breakfast. Excitement is buzzing around the camp. Light winds, light seas. Supplies for the day are loaded up. We all pile into the two vehicles and head off.

Glorious sunrise

Things happen very quickly. A few minutes south of the camp the vehicles both stop and turn towards the ocean. Rods are taken off and handed to us. I brought my own spinning outfit but the other guys are using the tackle provided - Penn Battle spinning reels loaded on 11ft foot Berkley Venom Taipan rods. Some have white surface plugs and some have spoons. We head off along the beach and start throwing the artificials.
It’s not warm, not cold, a little foggy.
Behind us bigger rods are being set up in rod holders. One of the vehicles race off, and return about 1/2hr later with fresh mullet in an aerated bucket.
The guides rig all the bigger rods with twin 7/0’s and mullet on a nylon leader. I’m super excited at this point. The type of baits going in are for BIG GARRICK!

Garrick (lichia amia) are a common fish along the south African coast and right up the West African coast, and even in the Mediterranean.
Falling in the trevally family, the Garrick or Leerfish is an aggressive surface predator which can attain sizes up to 35kg.
Renowned for their powerful attacks on artificials, and strong but clean fight, the Garrick is one of the most sought-after edibles along the south african coast. Sizes over 10kg are hard to catch in south Africa, with stocks in decline for decades. It’s been a dream of mine to get a big garrick (over 15kg) for many years.

The drone is assembled. Cuta Copter Revo4.. what a machine. Each bait is dropped at around 150-200m.
By now we are all standing behind the rods, each man assuming position behind his rod as his bait is dropped.
Nothing happens for about 30min. Then the knock-knock of the rod tip for my fellow guest Gert. No mistaking it, hard and with intent. Wait.. give it time to swallow… and the reel takes off furiously.. the rod bends with force, and Gert scrambles to pull it out.. and struggles to get it out, as the force on the bending rod digs it into the holder!
He gets it out eventually and the fight begins..

A surreal scene unfolds. One hour later I pause and look to my right at the desert. I had not noticed the river mouth before.. a dead river mouth.. All around me is mayhem. 5 guys are on with 5 big Garrick. I’ve just landed my first fish at 13kg.

I’m blown away but behind my rod in a flash, as another mullet is dropped. About 10min later, on again. Same deal for me.. rod is violently jerked forward as the (loosely set) drag takes off. I tighten up and the fish just keeps going. A long screaming drag, it took about 60m I guess. I gain some and then a shorter tun and another. And so it goes. 10min later a 15kg fish in my hands.

Fish are weighed with a rope around the tail, photos and video are taken quickly and fish are released as rapidly as possible.

The guides are very conservation-minded, typical south African coastal anglers. They have been at the camp 8 weeks, and we were their 5th group this season. In another month they will leave, and the Angola coastal fishing season will be over. Their work ethic is unbelievable. Racing off to get more mullet, unhooking fish, racing around with go-pro's and cameras and scales, and all while every single fish is safely released.

Next was a 14kg

My last fish of the day felt heavier.. more powerful. After a good fight I had an 18kg on the beach. Blown away. Day one and I have already achieved my first goal!

Biggest fish for the day was 19kg, and we caught 26 between us. Incredible.

With all the manic action we had completely skipped lunch. 8 very hungry but happy blokes headed back to the camp around 4pm and had dinner. After showering we were all in bed by 9.30pm. We were exhausted!
What s un believable day
Well done

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:22 am

Sounds like a great day 1 nice looking fish.
Those Garrick look a little like a queen fish.
#freebugatti

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:55 am

Oh wow what a trip! Gotta be super happy with that!
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:22 pm

WOW

Return to “The Rest of the World”