Help released snapper survive

News and Information from VRFish
gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Re: Help released snapper survive

Post by gregmaka » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:32 pm

Last year one of the port Melbourne counsel workers,asked me a question,why are there so many dead fish on the shore.I replied what do you mean.He took me around to his ute to show me.My god i have never seen snapper so big in my life.I told him that every time there is a fishing competition,expecualy snapper alot of people have greed in there eyes.They catch there bag limit which is 3 fish at or over 40 cm,and then when they catch a biger one they through the smaller one back in the water dead,and then when they catch a bigger one again,they replace it whith the bigger one.The fish i saw in his ute were all over 5-7 kg.I dont favour fishing compertitions only for this reason,even though they are fun and bring people together.Some greedy people spoil it for everyone.As most of you know when snapper are on they are on,it doest take long to catch your bag.These people dont call it a day,they just keep going till they catch the 10kg one.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:00 pm

gregmaka wrote:Last year one of the port Melbourne counsel workers,asked me a question,why are there so many dead fish on the shore.I replied what do you mean.He took me around to his ute to show me.My god i have never seen snapper so big in my life.I told him that every time there is a fishing competition,expecualy snapper alot of people have greed in there eyes.They catch there bag limit which is 3 fish at or over 40 cm,and then when they catch a biger one they through the smaller one back in the water dead,and then when they catch a bigger one again,they replace it whith the bigger one.The fish i saw in his ute were all over 5-7 kg.I dont favour fishing compertitions only for this reason,even though they are fun and bring people together.Some greedy people spoil it for everyone.As most of you know when snapper are on they are on,it doest take long to catch your bag.These people dont call it a day,they just keep going till they catch the 10kg one.
I don't like hearing those stories. They're the breeders! Not only that, those fish no longer have the opportunity of reaching that magical 10kg mark, which is what those numb-skulls don't seem to think or care about. (Providing that's what's going on).
Maybe there needs to be an agreement made that only 1 fish can be weighed/measured per entry per comp. along with no bag entries. A general consensus across the State for this species. That way with there being a bag limit of 3 (only bracket worth entering), and only 1 allowed for entry, the number of floaters caused by upgrades during comps should be minimal.
I'm thinking that the problem is a little greater than "upgrades during comps" though.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:04 pm

It doesn't have to be in comps you are only allowed 3 snapper over 40 I have seen people chuck back a 45cm because they caught a 65 cm

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:16 am

Redhunter wrote:Maybe there needs to be an agreement made that only 1 fish can be weighed/measured per entry per comp. along with no bag entries. A general consensus across the State for this species. That way with there being a bag limit of 3 (only bracket worth entering), and only 1 allowed for entry, the number of floaters caused by upgrades during comps should be minimal.
I'm thinking that the problem is a little greater than "upgrades during comps" though.
I think the easiest method would be photo entries. You can still keep your bag, but the winner is decided on a photo. This way, the incentive to upgrade isn't as great.

I believe the DEPI should also introduce a slot limit as they do with other species like Cod. Maybe a minimum size 28 cm and maximum 65 cm. This would also reduce the amount of upgrading, whether fishing a comp or pleasure fishing. If it's a photo comp, you can still target and enter a 65+ cm fish, but it would have been released.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:30 am

greggo wrote:I believe the DEPI should also introduce a slot limit as they do with other species like Cod. Maybe a minimum size 28 cm and maximum 65 cm. This would also reduce the amount of upgrading, whether fishing a comp or pleasure fishing. If it's a photo comp, you can still target and enter a 65+ cm fish, but it would have been released.

First you would have to prove to the DEPI that Snapper are trouble - but they tell us that snapper are not in decline
having more breaders does not mean having more fish
the limiting factor is the conditions of the water at breading time on how many Snapper survive to thats why some year are better than others

I read somewhere that the DEPI say that the total snapper catch in PPB for both rec and pros come to about 5% of the total biomass and is sustainable
The DEPI have done the slot limit thing on Cod and Duskys to improve there breading stocks but if it would make no difference to snapper stocks I dont see the point
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

vrfish

Post by vrfish » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:56 pm

Gentlemen,
our Victorian snapper stocks are based on a number of factors that are controlled by nature. Dr. Paul Hamer from DEPI is an expert on Victorian snapper recruitment and believes that a tiny micro-organism (sorry, but I can't remember the name) has to be present in the bay at the same time when snapper are producing larvae to produce a successful spawning of snapper in the bay.
If there is even a slight timing difference between the birth of the snapper larvae and the existance in the bay of this micro-organism, the chances of a good snapper spawning is impacted. Water temperature, pollution, water flow, tides and a host of other influences also have an effect on the spawning of the micro-organism. DEPI monitors the snapper spawning events each year and this gives them an idea of what the snapper fishing will be like in future years.
Our bay is healthy, but I agree with you that we need to look after our the snapper we catch, whether we catch them to eat or for sport.
Good, clear and effective education is really important to help people do the right thing and I've found that the greater majority of people want to look after their fish properly. They just need the right information. VRFish has developed the "Snapper Survival" program to give our fishers the right information to protect our valuable fish.
If you have any ideas that would assist us to get the information out to more fishers, please send me your thoughts.
Thanks Russell (russell@vrfish.com.au)

Return to “VRFish (Victorian Recreational Fishing Peak-Body)”