Late Season Kingfish

Yellowtail Kingfish (Scientific name - Seriola lalandi), Kingys, Kings, Hoodlums, Bandits or "Rat Kings" are a strong, exciting gamefish that strike savagely at a wide range of lures, live baits and dead or cut fish fillets. Victorian Yellowtail Kingfish reports right here.
cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: Late Season Kingfish

Post by cobby » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:20 am

Weather forecast scared everyone off from post dawn service trips I think.

Got me stuffed how they can be so wrong on a very consistent basis yet claim to be so right about weather patterns a decade or longer into the future

nickb123

Post by nickb123 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:50 am

were these inside or out mate? i was fishing inside a few weeks ago and sounded some up smashing the salmon and bait fish, but 20 minutes earlier had snapped my bigger rod and only had real light salmon and flatty gear on me i was fuming haha
Cheers Nick

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:12 am

Nah these guys were offshore. Only heard of the odd 1 or 2 getting caught inside. Tough to nab em when they are schooling with salmon as the salmon nearly always get to the lure first haha

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Fri May 01, 2015 10:08 am

scott__henning wrote:....managed to bag out by lunchtime on a day where the forecast was horrible but the actual weather was perfect!
...............................................................................................................................................................
Good to see you had the brains to assess the weather on the day. A lot of guys would have written the day off with the forecast and planned other things...then thought at the end of the day..."geez, the weather wasn't too bad, should have went fishing"! Great effort!
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Flathead37

Post by Flathead37 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:23 pm

Nice Kings there Scott, what lures were you getting them on? Kings on the surface is so much fun. Mick :a_goodjob:

Uluabuster

Post by Uluabuster » Fri May 01, 2015 1:56 pm

Good fish mate, caught any on jigs ?

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Fri May 01, 2015 5:27 pm

Rod Bender wrote:
scott__henning wrote:....managed to bag out by lunchtime on a day where the forecast was horrible but the actual weather was perfect!
...............................................................................................................................................................
Good to see you had the brains to assess the weather on the day. A lot of guys would have written the day off with the forecast and planned other things...then thought at the end of the day..."geez, the weather wasn't too bad, should have went fishing"! Great effort!
cheers
Jim
I agree Jim. Last saturday it was meant to be terrible, i poked my head outside about 3:30am to a dead calm warm morning. we were on the water by 5 haha. Turns out wpb was glassed out all morning, and no rain at all. Helps to be able to pop down to the beach and have a look, so glad i moved down the peninsula

scott__henning

Post by scott__henning » Sat May 02, 2015 8:52 am

Uluabuster wrote:Good fish mate, caught any on jigs ?

most of them were caught on jigs, 80-100g knife style jigs just on light gear. awesome fun!

scott__henning

Post by scott__henning » Sat May 02, 2015 9:17 am

Hand a few days off so I've had a few more days on the kingies, and it's been a blast!

Would have landed 40 between 2 of us to 80cm on Thursday, and Friday was a bit tougher but still managed 10 or so. Awesome fishing having an absolute blast!

scott__henning

Post by scott__henning » Sun May 03, 2015 11:12 pm

Can't stay away, the fishing is just too good. Snuck out again today in perfect glassy conditions and nabbed a PB 88cm kingie, and we were bagged out by lunchtime!
Attachments
10009282_10153258036643427_1490703401263428201_n.jpg
11188280_10153257223193427_2237183714196865154_n.jpg

Return to “Yellowtail Kingfish Fishing”