November Vic Kings!

Yellowtail Kingfish (Scientific name - Seriola lalandi), Kingys, Kings, Hoodlums, Bandits or "Rat Kings" are a strong, exciting gamefish that strike savagely at a wide range of lures, live baits and dead or cut fish fillets. Victorian Yellowtail Kingfish reports right here.
ecoronad
Has liked: 1 time

Re: November Vic Kings!

Post by ecoronad » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:41 pm

scott__henning wrote:Ive just made a Facebook page which I plan on posting regular kingfish tips and whatnot. I'm no expert but this stuff was hard to find when I was hunting my first kingie. Feel free to check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/VicKingieSecrets/
I'm extemely impressed that you've taken upon yourself to help anglers out who may not have the time or patience to acquire the knowledge to chase kingies. Highly commendable achievement.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:43 pm

cobby wrote:
Redhunter wrote:Great work there Scott! Nice read too mate. I gotta agree, the numbers and sizes are certainly building. They seem to be going from strength to strength.

Bigger numbers outside also mean bigger numbers inside the bays as well. Interestingly, WP has much more reef and character to it, and yet I seem to hear more kingie reports from PPB. Anyone have any ideas why this may be so? Not sure I've actually heard of a kingie caught in WP tbh!
Few rats venture up with the bait. There was even a good fish (~9kg if memory is good) off point leo beach landbased a few years back.

The one good thing that's helped the Kingfish in both Victoria/Tasmania and NSW, the banning of commercial traps.

You'll love 1m+ fish Scott, makes 80cm fish look and feel tiny
I believe they are fairly common around Stony Point, and we're targeted from the northern end of the pier, until they shut it off.

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:16 pm

ecoronad wrote:
scott__henning wrote:Ive just made a Facebook page which I plan on posting regular kingfish tips and whatnot. I'm no expert but this stuff was hard to find when I was hunting my first kingie. Feel free to check it out.

I'm extemely impressed that you've taken upon yourself to help anglers out who may not have the time or patience to acquire the knowledge to chase kingies. Highly commendable achievement.
Took me three years to catch my first kingie. I wasted a lot of money and time due to inexperience and lack of knowledge. Happy to see people get onto their first kingfish sooner rather than later!

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:35 pm

ecoronad wrote:

Don't know how Scott does it, but I run off my own S.C.B.T.G theory.
First being Structure. A reef, headland, island etc. Doesn't matter what it is, but if there's nothing but flat lifeless mud/sand for miles the fish won't be there.
Currents. Structures with a flowing current no matter how small a flow (think Mornington pier) attracts the smaller species which attracts the predators like Kings.
Bait. Only the best. Live. If dead or fake make it look and behave like it's alive.
Temperature. I like 16°+ surface temp. They seemingly become less lethargic to hit. But like Scott proved on the weekend, it doesn't matter as much as the rest.
Gear. Rats can be landed on what you'd call average snapper gear, big fish bloody pull and are super erratic fish to fish. And you're around structure so you want as best of everything your budget allows to give you the best chance of landing one.

They're just my theories in the 5 years of trial and error. Scott might have some more to add to his Facebook page at a later date

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:38 am

Cobby - So my 2500 caldia and 2-6 kg wicked weasel wont work? :(

Scotty well done mate.
Kingfish is something I've always wanted to catch, and most importantly on a lure of some sort. I came close when I was in sydney but it never happened because the charter was cancelled. Was thinking I might have to go back there again. But reports line this gives me some hope here locally
And I know you guys are going to think wtf is he saying. But I actually want to catch the rats. Only because I don't think illbe able to land a good sized one. Weak back along with a tiny skinny frame doesn't inspire too much confidence chasing the big ones.
Cheers

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:38 am

Kings think of them as a big salmon.

Can be caught at any depth from right on the bottom to the surface.

Can be caught with lures, jigs, bait ect.

If you are looking to use bait Kings are very very keen on squid.

Knife jigs and metal slugs, go for anything shinny.

Gear we use 15kg gear, 30ld braid with 50lb leader, which has coped with all the kings we have encountered.

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:26 am

I have been trying to catch one of these from the shore for some time. Im fishing very rough ground so livebaiting isnt an option (not very practical either). Am I just wasting my time fishing deadbaits? Im putting out a fair amount of burley using a throwing stick in the hope of getting them feeding. Can you catch them on deadbaits?
Cast, catch and put it back

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:30 am

I've caught rats at Montague Island on dead squid baits... however I have found the big guy's prefer live baits ... though big and small will take large metal lures..
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:00 pm

hornet wrote:I've caught rats at Montague Island on dead squid baits... however I have found the big g9uy's prefer live baits ... though big and small will take large metal lures..

Will give the squid a try. I just cant be bothered to stand there spinning for 6 hrs, just not my thing. Just have to keep trying :-D
Cast, catch and put it back

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:38 pm

All fish prefer live baits over dead but you can catch plenty on dead bait.

Return to “Yellowtail Kingfish Fishing”