First land based Kingfish

Yellowtail Kingfish (Scientific name - Seriola lalandi), Kingys, Kings, Hoodlums, Bandits or "Rat Kings" are a strong, exciting gamefish that strike savagely at a wide range of lures, live baits and dead or cut fish fillets. Victorian Yellowtail Kingfish reports right here.
Fish-Hunter

Re: First land based Kingfish

Post by Fish-Hunter » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:40 pm

Thats a nice Kingfish on light gear & being caught landbased makes it even sweeter :thumbsup:

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:55 am

dezza68 wrote:
bilby wrote:Super impressive! You always hope, but this stuff (almost) never happens in real life.
Bit like DougieK, there was a few hundred hours thats gone into that. Hopefully there are more to come. Going to buy a bigger net so I can put them back (hopefully)

So you were targeting this fish on that gear? Or it was just a fluke catch while chasing something else?

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:36 am

Brett wrote:
dezza68 wrote:
bilby wrote:Super impressive! You always hope, but this stuff (almost) never happens in real life.
Bit like DougieK, there was a few hundred hours thats gone into that. Hopefully there are more to come. Going to buy a bigger net so I can put them back (hopefully)

So you were targeting this fish on that gear? Or it was just a fluke catch while chasing something else?
I was fishing for trevally, i normally have a heavier rod with me when Im after the kingies and snapper but didnt bring it this time. I use the same method just scaled up a bit.
Cast, catch and put it back

cahoona
Has liked: 15 times

Post by cahoona » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:30 pm

top effort getting a king on that gear keep up the good reports :a_goodjob:

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:57 pm

dezza68 wrote:
Brett wrote:
dezza68 wrote:

I was fishing for trevally, i normally have a heavier rod with me when Im after the kingies and snapper but didnt bring it this time. I use the same method just scaled up a bit.
Your a lucky bloke Dez ! you should have put on a lotto ticket on that day ! :thumbsup:

When you said you scale up the rig for kings what sort of depth are you talking ? I mean from the float to the hook ?

How would you cast far if the float to hook distance is a lot ?

Good effort on light line.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:11 pm

hornet wrote:
dezza68 wrote:
Brett wrote:
dezza68 wrote:

Your a lucky bloke Dez ! you should have put on a lotto ticket on that day ! :thumbsup:

When you said you scale up the rig for kings what sort of depth are you talking ? I mean from the float to the hook ?

How would you cast far if the float to hook distance is a lot ?

Good effort on light line.
I reckon any lbg is an element of luck but the more hours in the right place the better your chances.
My heavy float gear is a daiwa crossfire 12ft with 30lb braid and a 6000 reel. I tie a stop knot on the line so the float can be set to any depth you want. I have fished it in 40ft of water no problem. I try and fish a couple of feet above the weed normally as thats where I have seen the kings in that area. I think the movement of the float makes the bait waft around and adds a bit of life.
They are definately regular visitors as I've seen them half a dozen times since October, but I think the better conditions are when its a bit choppier and you cant see them. The water was still a bit stirred up yesterday. There were a few people ballooning baits out yesterday but I reckon its a bit too shallow there to do that.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:31 pm

Screenshot_2016-01-09-19-30-22.png
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:29 pm

bowl wrote:
Screenshot_2016-01-09-19-30-22.png
Those balloons cast a big shadow when you only have 2 metres of pretty clear water.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:14 pm

Nice fish mate nice to see

Rob1

Post by Rob1 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:48 pm

Magic :notworthy:

Return to “Yellowtail Kingfish Fishing”