Kingfish

Yellowtail Kingfish (Scientific name - Seriola lalandi), Kingys, Kings, Hoodlums, Bandits or "Rat Kings" are a strong, exciting gamefish that strike savagely at a wide range of lures, live baits and dead or cut fish fillets. Victorian Yellowtail Kingfish reports right here.
Buckle&scream

Kingfish

Post by Buckle&scream » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:52 pm

Hi guys, anyone know if its true that there has been some big kings caught last weekend at rip. Because this bloke has told me he has done well and easly got bait fish including slimys from Sorrento and got 6 kings up to 12kg but now asking for advise on to were to catch slimys at Sorrento?? Lol Sorry I don't believe people easily these days with out proof. So did the kings run well over the weekend at the rip??

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Kingfish

Post by bowl » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:56 pm

Its is king Fush time of year ,so would not surprise me.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:11 pm

bowl wrote:Its is king Fush time of year ,so would not surprise me.
Wouldn't suprise me either, Id like to believe the guy but not with out some proof at least a pic. I mean if it was a secret why would he tell me with out knowing I'm trust worthy or not or is this another fisho trying to talk big stories on line pulling my leg lol

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:14 pm

Buckle&scream wrote:Hi guys, anyone know if its true that there has been some big kings caught last weekend at rip. Because this bloke has told me he has done well and easly got bait fish including slimys from Sorrento and got 6 kings up to 12kg but now asking for advise on to were to catch slimys at Sorrento?? Lol Sorry I don't believe people easily these days with out proof. So did the kings run well over the weekend at the rip??
If you look at the last week 2 kingfish were caught at flinders pier. A number of local charter operators have kingfish photos uploaded to their facebook pages. Portland pages are showing kingfish being caught, going by that there are definitely kingfish around.

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:53 pm

yeah they poped up at mornington a little while ago as well and been caught of Williamstown couple weeks ago as well. Im asking because there's a lot of serious king fish fishos on here and if the bigger kings are in full swing there would be a lot of talk and reports come through. they usually hang around for about 6 weeks when they arrive in side the rip. And I'm talking about the rip/heads btw not Portland I'm talking about guys that launch from Sorrento and head to the rip for big kings not talking charter boats. Is it in full swing or was it just last weekend that fished well at the rip??

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:02 pm

There were Kingies around Carrum to Mt. Eliza last week, havn't heard of any this week

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:58 pm

Peninsula Compleat Angler, Facebook post, 1hr ago wrote:Last weekend saw more kingfish caught around Southern Mornington Peninsula. Though the Larger models are hard to locate the rats are in abundance. Matt Cini from Reel Time Fishing Charters got stuck into them using trolling and live baiting methods.

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:12 pm

Cool i knew they would be rats there as they seem to be popping up everywhere else ATM. I'm talking kings to 12kg not rats. Me personally I've never caught a big kingy just rats and don't know a great deal about kings other then when they seem to turn up and leave. Are big kingfish and small kingfish usually all together?? or would they be in seperate schools ranging in different sizes??

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:26 pm

I was fishing the rip on sunday morning and word around was none were getting caught in the rip, spoke to a lot of other boats. A few were landed outside the heads on a few of the reefs but not the bigger models yet. There were probably about 40 - 60 boats trying so once they come on you will hear about it through the regular channels.

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:31 pm

On the bait, scad are in abundance in the south channel in front of Sorrento, you need to get them before sun up though. I used a unweighed piece of squid and would have caught 20 - 30 easily in the hour before dawn.

Return to “Yellowtail Kingfish Fishing”