Trevally as bait

Pilchards, Garfish, Berley, Whitebait, Fresh Squid, Tuna Oil, Chicken, etc
slinga

Trevally as bait

Post by slinga » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:03 pm

Yo,

Caught alot of Silver Trevally recently and just thought I'd throw it out there that the fillet has caught KGW, Snapper, Flatties, big Salmon, 7 gills, rays, and gummys. Best bait I've used and stays on the hook forever.

Mick
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Trevally as bait

Post by CarlG » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:33 pm

slinga wrote:Yo,

Caught alot of Silver Trevally recently and just thought I'd throw it out there that the fillet has caught KGW, Snapper, Flatties, big Salmon, 7 gills, rays, and gummys. Best bait I've used and stays on the hook forever.

Mick
Cool...I`d heard of them as a great gummy bait, interesting to hear of their use on other species..
Carl..

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:05 pm

Silver Trevally are great sport fish & put up a great fight on light gear , i guess they make great bait as well & also when bleed & eaten fresh they are also nice to eat . i personally return small Silver Trevally so that they grow up to be big thumping fighters , not many fish can match big Silver Trevally for fighting abilty pound for pound . :)

slinga

Post by slinga » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:13 pm

I've been catching them 800g-1.5kg. Also got a 2kg one a few weeks ago. Wouldnt say they are small lol.
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:22 am

^^
1.5kg to 2kg are thumpers & awesome fighting fish , well done mate . :thumbsup:

fishaholic
Has liked: 23 times

Post by fishaholic » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:47 am

agreed, Trevally are great fun to catch and make great Gummy Shark bait.

tr3los

Post by tr3los » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:23 am

i couldnt agree more guys, travelly is amazing bait especially for gummy!! quick story: 3 nights (and days) of fishing off the surf on 90 mile beach, caught NOTHING due to ridiculous weed, sea lice bad 'luck' etc. the last day the mate i was with says stuff it lets pack up n get out of here, i insisted we finished the little bait we had n had a few casts each, taking just the one surf rod. started catching a good mixed bag of flattys salmon travelly etc etc. ran out of bait in about an hour, so i took one of the smallER trevalli, ran back n got the surf rod i was targeting gummys with the last 3 days, put a fillet of the trev on n within roughly 15 minutes managed a fairly decent gummy :) ever since trevally's always had a soft spot in my bait list. And everyone lived happily ever after :P

Return to “Bait”