Bought pipi / mussel

Pilchards, Garfish, Berley, Whitebait, Fresh Squid, Tuna Oil, Chicken, etc
DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Bought pipi / mussel

Post by DougieK » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:09 pm

Hi All,

I've been enjoying fishing the sandy beaches in Westernport for a couple of months now. Still being relatively new to bait fishing, I've noticed inevitably how fresh squid / salmon / mullet performs better than it's frozen version, with frozen squid being almost useless (in my experience.)

Reading the landbased guide to WP, many of the spots have pipi or mussel as a recommended bait, i'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts on frozen pipi are?

Obviously I want fresh, but I can't seem to find any information on collecting my own pipi (mussel maybe) and don't want to pay fish shop prices for whiting baits.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

drewb

Re: Bought pipi / mussel

Post by drewb » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:32 pm

I've found there's 2 types of bait shop pippies. I believe there's aussie and imported (but stand to be corrected) and the imported ones are rubbish. I use the aussie ones boat fishing in WPB and had the most success for whiting (and pretty much anything else that's hungry, ie flatties, trevs, mullet, pinkies). They're not cheap but they work.

Apparently mussels collected off moorings etc go well on whiting but I've not tried it. Also might want to check the rules on collecting your own...
Collecting pippies would be very time consuming I would've thought.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:46 pm

Portarlington way you cam buy them fresh..... a lot of local collect them from piers/yellow byuos . I use mario products
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:52 pm

You need to do the pipi shuffle to get them ! LOL

when I was a little tacker the family would go to Rye, at low tide we would go out waist high and do " The twist " you would feel the pipi's between your toes as you sunk down into the sand, just reach down and pick them up, I haven't done this for many years so I don't know if they are still there ?
Last edited by hornet on Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:54 pm

They're frozen live. No issue with either. Buy the more expensive Aussie pippies, the cheaper imports are pure crap for the once a year crew

TrevKing

Post by TrevKing » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:40 pm

The frozen ones I buy (from south australia apparently) always work a treat at Barwon Heads on the whiting, salmon, mullet ect.
They also stay on the hook pretty well for pipis.

From what I can remember its around $8 for a large bag of them, which usually lasts for a couple of hours during a hot bite.
2015 Goals -
-First Squid
-Trout on SP
-First Murray Cod
-Rainbow over 40cm
-Redfin over 40cm

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:54 pm

DougieK wrote:Hi All,

I've been enjoying fishing the sandy beaches in Westernport for a couple of months now. Still being relatively new to bait fishing, I've noticed inevitably how fresh squid / salmon / mullet performs better than it's frozen version, with frozen squid being almost useless (in my experience.)

Reading the landbased guide to WP, many of the spots have pipi or mussel as a recommended bait, i'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts on frozen pipi are?

Obviously I want fresh, but I can't seem to find any information on collecting my own pipi (mussel maybe) and don't want to pay fish shop prices for whiting baits.
Go to dromana parade, look for the large sandwich board outside the mussel farmers house. Buy your mussels off him, $4/kilo for bait mussels, from just out of safety beach. Can't go wrong.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:56 pm

The bags of mussels at coles are live. I have heard a few ppl use them. Sometimes you have to cut them into two baits per mussel depending on size
Last edited by Scraglor on Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:14 pm

TrevKing wrote:The frozen ones I buy (from south australia apparently) always work a treat at Barwon Heads on the whiting, salmon, mullet ect.
They also stay on the hook pretty well for pipis.

From what I can remember its around $8 for a large bag of them, which usually lasts for a couple of hours during a hot bite.

Victoria market has those SA pipi's !

better than those crappy clams they try to pass off as pipi's !
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Return to “Bait”