pilly over supply

Pilchards, Garfish, Berley, Whitebait, Fresh Squid, Tuna Oil, Chicken, etc
bowl
Has liked: 292 times

pilly over supply

Post by bowl » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:37 am

Expect to see more of this .
Local talke shop at Phillip island said he has that many pilchards he can't get rid of them
10435119_658844304232006_7938432365674789743_n.jpg
10435119_658844304232006_7938432365674789743_n.jpg (21.12 KiB) Viewed 1387 times
:doh1: tho if you are against netting in the bay you won't be buying any pilly
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Re: pilly over supply

Post by poodoo » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:13 pm

Seen the local ones at victoria market for 5 bucks a KG a couple of weeks back and they were the freshest pillies i had seen in a long time.

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:21 pm

Only WA and SA pilchards for me, and only $12!

Can buy them, not sure where they come from, for $10 any day in West Suburbs in blocks.

CanuckDownUnder

Post by CanuckDownUnder » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:37 pm

I never buy frozen. Every type of bait is available very fresh at Vic Markets. Human food quality has to be better than bait quality and it's about the same price as frozen bait - sometimes cheaper!
"Look at where Jesus went to pick people. He didn't go to the colleges; he got guys off the fishing docks." - Jeff Foxworthy

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:07 pm

There's no over supply at all. Pillies are back in vogue so everyone is cashing in on it with specials and hoping to make the cash through volume.

Nothing wrong with the locals but it's up to 36 hour turnaround from capture to you buying them from a fish monger. Then another 3+ hours to freeze in your -4° freezer vs only a few hours from capture to frozen for iqf. They havent been frozen at all hence they're nice and shiny and deep blue/green colour vs a thawed out pilly.

Market vs frozen.... Where do you think bait suppliers get their fish from? Except California squid (imported obviously) pippies and pilchards(which all come direct from the pros) the rest comes straight from the market or the fishing co-op the day they're packed

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:56 pm

cobby wrote:There's no over supply at all. Pillies are back in vogue so everyone is cashing in on it with specials and hoping to make the cash through volume.

Nothing wrong with the locals but it's up to 36 hour turnaround from capture to you buying them from a fish monger. Then another 3+ hours to freeze in your -4° freezer vs only a few hours from capture to frozen for iqf. They havent been frozen at all hence they're nice and shiny and deep blue/green colour vs a thawed out pilly.

Market vs frozen.... Where do you think bait suppliers get their fish from? Except California squid (imported obviously) pippies and pilchards(which all come direct from the pros) the rest comes straight from the market or the fishing co-op the day they're packed
Had this convo with CarlG today, Squid jig, salmon slug and a bait pump and i very rarely pay for any bait at all.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:06 pm

Bit hard not buy pilly as it gas been out fishing my fresh bait.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:54 pm

DougieK wrote:
cobby wrote:There's no over supply at all. Pillies are back in vogue so everyone is cashing in on it with specials and hoping to make the cash through volume.

Had this convo with CarlG today, Squid jig, salmon slug and a bait pump and i very rarely pay for any bait at all.
You and me both. Merely dispelling the notion that a pack of frozen silver Whiting in a tackle store is the fish picked up half dried out from the corner of the factory vs fish monger silvers

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:59 pm

DougieK wrote:

I haven't pumped bait since i was a kid haven't really worked out pumping baits in Vic. you missed small hooks and floats
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Bait”