Soft crabs

Pilchards, Garfish, Berley, Whitebait, Fresh Squid, Tuna Oil, Chicken, etc
dezza68

Soft crabs

Post by dezza68 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:33 pm

Back in the uk we use shore crabs that are shedding their shells as a bait. You peel the shell off and bind them on the hook with elastic cotton. The fish go mad for them and with the warming weather I reckon they will start shedding here soon.
Has anyone tried them and are you allowed to use them as bait?
Cast, catch and put it back

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Soft crabs

Post by CarlG » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:07 pm

I asked that question a long while ago Dezza..used to be a prime cod bait..never really seen crabs of any kind used as bait here.

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:11 pm

CarlG wrote:I asked that question a long while ago Dezza..used to be a prime cod bait..never really seen crabs of any kind used as bait here.
Umm, must disagree, crabs would be the number one bait for bream for me especially the big bream, chances are if you get a bream on a crab it will be of good size, great bait

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:29 pm

CarlG wrote:I asked that question a long while ago Dezza..used to be a prime cod bait..never really seen crabs of any kind used as bait here.
I was walking the dog down at Cannons creek and there were millions of the things. They have to shed at some time and nature normally takes advantage of an easy meal so something must eat them. Question is, is it something we want to catch. They way my fishings going they will be like catnip for gurnard.
I think im getting desperate, I'll be out trying to dig lugworm next. :-D

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:35 pm

Fishsniper wrote:
Umm, must disagree, crabs would be the number one bait for bream for me especially the big bream, chances are if you get a bream on a crab it will be of good size, great bait
I actually said I've never seen them used as bait. I don't fish for bream, so I'd have no idea on that score..

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:53 am

A. Few years ago, called into the ramp on the Hopkins River down Warnambool way.
Blokes were cleaning Bream there and they had plenty,all were well over a Kg and many were approaching 2kg.Never seen anything like it,they were all big bluenoses and all caught on sizeable black crabs wth hook nicked thru the major claw socket.
So impressed we took some down to Nelson on the Glenelg next trip. Caught our share but nothing like the Hoppies size.
Reminds me to give ,em a try at Bemm in March.
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:09 am

The bream guys swear by those Cranka Crabs so it makes sense that they will make a good bream bait. I've picked a few up while pumping yabbies but never really tried to use them for baits, next time i'll have a go and see what happens.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:13 am

I hear a lot of people say the gummies and reds they catch in wpb are full of crabs, so I reckon it would be worth a crack if you can collect a few. I might have to give it a go over summer

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:30 am

I have posted this previously, IMO crabs are the number one gummy bait.

We have caught many big gummies on crabs over the years.

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:47 am

frozenpod wrote:I have posted this previously, IMO crabs are the number one gummy bait.

We have caught many big gummies on crabs over the years.
We used to get something that looked exactly the same as a gummy called a smoothound although we didnt eat them. Prime baits for them were soft crabs and hermit crabs. Ive been wondering if the same tactics we used would work so sounds like its worth giving it a go. :-D

Return to “Bait”