Eel

Pilchards, Garfish, Berley, Whitebait, Fresh Squid, Tuna Oil, Chicken, etc
Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Eel

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:28 pm

the creek nearby has big ones. One time I left a baited hook overnight on 60lb line and when I checked it in the morning, I was in for a shocker :shocker: Bloody big! I tried to pull the line from the bank and when the body of the eel broke the surface, I dropped the line and jumped...I ran for my life :grin: .. I reckon it was as big as a 1.25 liter coke bottle. I was unable to lift it from the bank. I had to cut the line or risk being dragged to the drink. :snap:
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:47 pm

The one that I caught was probably just over 1 meter but not that thick....

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:19 pm

Fish-cador wrote:the creek nearby has big ones. One time I left a baited hook overnight on 60lb line and when I checked it in the morning, I was in for a shocker :shocker: Bloody big! I tried to pull the line from the bank and when the body of the eel broke the surface, I dropped the line and jumped...I ran for my life :grin: .. I reckon it was as big as a 1.25 liter coke bottle. I was unable to lift it from the bank. I had to cut the line or risk being dragged to the drink. :snap:

I just read your post, and pissed myself laughing. :lol: I would of probably done the same as you. Did you have a big don salami as bait??? ;) I might try that one day as well, at the local lake and see what comes about.. Cheers.
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

zack268

Post by zack268 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:29 pm

the ones here are very very careful... they know your there...

regarding the baited hook overnight and it was as thick as a coke bottle... that thing must have been like 2-3 meters to be that thing!?!?!?!

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:31 pm

zack268 wrote:the ones here are very very careful... they know your there...

regarding the baited hook overnight and it was as thick as a coke bottle... that thing must have been like 2-3 meters to be that thing!?!?!?!
I did not see the head, I did not see the tail, I just saw it roll so I cant say how long it was. :dontknow It must be bloody long. :fish11: It scared the crap out of me. :shark:

If you can wait, I will go back to the creek, try to catch it again and I will measure it. :haha2:

Prasa, I was using chicken liver on 6/0 hook. I stopped trying again as my second attempt snagged a poor turtle which swallowed the hook. The turtle was alive when I cut the line.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:22 pm

Chicken livers are the gun bait when the eels are shut down in the Yarra, just ensure that you fish the livers unweighted, as in no sinker, just a hook.

It's also a good bream bait in the Maribyrnong river.

Tight Lines

Rob

andyk

Post by andyk » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:40 pm

Don't get caught leaving lines in unattended over night fisheries don't like that very much.

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:38 pm

I left my dog to watch over the line. :-))
====
Words of wisdom:
====

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:50 pm

hey guys i know this is a bit off topic but i herd u can kill an eel by hitting it on the tail is this true and if so is this the most effective way of dispatching of eel and fc im pretty sure set lines r illegal.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:47 pm

Totally off topic, but opera house nets are also illegal, but people can still legally use them............ pls explain?

Return to “Bait”