What’s everybody using

Was thinking of purchasing a second hand cheap leaf/stick mulcher

For burlying for Makos, so about 20/30kg per session

Cheers in advance

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Re: Making 50kg+ of burley

Post by April Fool » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:26 pm

I would have thought someone would have replied to this but no doubt it got buried in the posting shitfest that was last Tuesday. I am not into burleying for makos myself but have thought at times about getting some device to make carp a bit more 'spreadable' when being used as fertiliser.
Cheers
Jim

AzCoy7
Has liked: 2 times

Post by AzCoy7 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:15 pm

You mean like what do people use often for bait? I use pilchards, pipi, squid etc

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:32 pm

Bump..x2 on getting buried in tuesday of shitfest posting
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:36 pm

AzCoy7 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:15 pm
You mean like what do people use often for bait? I use pilchards, pipi, squid etc
As per subject, ol mate wants to know what devices folks use for making 50kg+ of burley?

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:41 pm

Hi Daryl

Not sure about the volume you are talking about , , , , 50+ kilos , , , , BUT I use a hand cranked meat mincer to make my berley.

IMG_20190418_164215aa.png

I use a (special purchased) large holed mincing/cutting plate. The small holed one just makes puree slop, where as the large holed one makes small bites perfect for berley.

IMG_20190418_164145aa.png

I use the berley we make for Snapper fishing, we go through about 2 to 8 kilos per session, depending on how the session goes. Sometimes only one berley block (a 1 or a 3 kilo) is used and the Snaps stay on the bite. BUT we also put fish bites, old Pilchards, Crab scraps, fish frames etc into the berley cage. These bites don't get out as they are bigger than the berley and stay in the berley cage which then the smell holds the Snapper to the boat. AND we throw Pilchard cubes in the water too, which helps hold them.

I made a stainless steel berley cage, which works well. It fits into a 20L bucket so it doesn't drip/run all over the deck. Berley rope is twined on a very large handline thing.

IMG_20190126_120725aa.png
IMG_20190126_120639aa.png

The one kilo berley blocks (logs) are made in these plastic sleeves (I get two blocks per sleeve, by tying them off halfway along). I get them from "Master butchers", a Butcher Wholesaler in SA. They use them to make Salami, Mortadella etc.

These berley logs last for about an hour, depending on tide flow.

Yes, they do look like large , , , , well , , , , we call them King Kong Kondoms

IMG_20190418_163648aa.png

The three kilo berley blocks I make in a plastic bag lined 2-3 litre bucket. These last for just over two hours

IMG_20190418_164528aa.png

I prefer to use 50% Pilchard and the remaining to be Whiting/Gar frames that I get from a local Fishmonger.

My Lemon tree loves the washing up water , , , , and yes, I do surrender a fair bit of berley mix to the tree , , , , I mean, lemon goes so well with Seafood, so a bit of a trade off.

IMG_20190418_163335aa.png
IMG_20190418_163322aa.png

I have looked into an electric mincer, but have been told it needs to be of a good size not just a basic kitchen bench one. I would say that is so, as the force needed to turn the handle to get through some bone and scale is a fair bit at times. They are pricey and I am looking for one at auctions & second hand stores.

But, mate Don and I make a night of it, so the hand cranked mincer is a means to an end , , , , with a reward at the end of the evening , , , , which helps wash down the smell

jack-daniels-whiskey-glass.jpg

Oh, just thought , , , , not sure about Mako berley and it being ok with chunky bits in it BUT the mincer uses a rotating star blade which "scissors" the flesh that is being pushed through the holes. Does a leaf/branch mulcher do that because with fish skin bone etc, it can get through uncut possibly????

Hope this helps Daryl,

Cheers, Bugatti
Last edited by Bugatti on Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:42 pm

bowl wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:32 pm
Bump..x2 on getting buried in tuesday of shitfest posting
X3

Redhunter

Post by Redhunter » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:46 pm

Daryl wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:24 pm
What’s everybody using

Was thinking of purchasing a second hand cheap leaf/stick mulcher

For burlying for Makos, so about 20/30kg per session

Cheers in advance
Many fishos use mulchers for making up shark burley. It's a great idea and probably not much else would be up to the challenge to make those kind of volumes. I don't know how easy they would be to clean afterwards though. If you can get one nice and cheap, go for it I say!!

Redhunter

Post by Redhunter » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:49 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:41 pm
Hi Daryl

Not sure about the volume you are talking about , , , , 50+ kilos , , , , BUT I use a hand cranked meat mincer to make my berley.

IMG_20190418_164215aa.png

I use a (special purchased) large holed mincing/cutting plate. The small holed one just makes puree slop, where as the large holed one makes small bites perfect for berley.

IMG_20190418_164145aa.png

I use the berley we make for Snapper fishing, we go through about 2 to 8 kilos per session, depending on how the session goes. Sometimes only one berley block (a 1 or a 3 kilo) is used and the Snaps stay on the bite. BUT we also put fish bites, old Pilchards, Crab scraps, fish frames etc into the berley cage. These bites don't get out as they are bigger than the berley and stay in the berley cage which then the smell holds the Snapper to the boat. AND we throw Pilchard cubes in the water to, which helps hold them.

I made a stainless steel berley cage, which works well. It fits into a 20L bucket so it doesn't drip/run all over the deck. Berley rope is twined on a very large handline thing.

IMG_20190126_120725aa.png

IMG_20190126_120639aa.png

The one kilo berley blocks (logs) are made in these plastic sleeves (I get two blocks per sleeve, by tying them off halfway along). I get them from "Master butchers", a Butcher Wholesaler in SA. They use them to make Salami, Mortadella etc.

These berley logs last for about an hour, depending on tide flow.

Yes, they do look like large , , , , well , , , , we call them King Kong Kondoms

IMG_20190418_163648aa.png

The three kilo berley blocks I make in a plastic bag lined 2-3 litre bucket. These last for just over two hours

IMG_20190418_164528aa.png

I prefer to use 50% Pilchard and the remaining to be Whiting/Gar frames that I get from a local Fishmonger.

My Lemon tree loves the washing up water , , , , and yes, I do surrender a fair bit of berley mix to the tree , , , , I mean, lemon goes so well with Seafood, so a bit of a trade off.

IMG_20190418_163335aa.png

IMG_20190418_163322aa.png

I have looked into an electric mixer, but have been told it needs to be of a good size not just a basic kitchen bench one. I would say that is so, as the force needed to turn the handle to get through some bone and scale is a fair bit at times. They are pricey and I am looking for one at auctions & second hand stores.

But, mate Don and I make a night of it, so the hand cranked mincer is a means to an end , , , , with a reward at the end of the evening , , , , which helps wash down the smell

jack-daniels-whiskey-glass.jpg

Oh, just thought , , , , not sure about Mako berley and it being ok with chunky bits in it BUT the mincer uses a rotating star blade which "scissors" the flesh that is being pushed through the holes. Does a leaf/branch mulcher do that because with fish skin bone etc, it can get through uncut possibly????

Hope this helps Daryl,

Cheers, Bugatti
That's a bloody good post Bugatti! Well done mate :a_goodjob:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:56 pm

April Fool wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:26 pm
I would have thought someone would have replied to this but no doubt it got buried in the posting shitfest that was last Tuesday. I am not into burleying for makos myself but have thought at times about getting some device to make carp a bit more 'spreadable' when being used as fertiliser.
Cheers
Jim
I agree

Probably explains why less than 10% of users are registered members and only a fraction of the registered members post.

On line.PNG
On line.PNG (10.04 KiB) Viewed 2399 times

Anyway, Jim, it was nice that you noticed and bumped the post back into the light.

Daryl, let us know how you get on , , , , with the berley , , , , and the Makos :-D :thumbsup:

Cheers, Bugatti

Return to “Bait”