4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Catching Bait Kayak Based

Post by 4liters » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:17 am

CarlG wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:58 am
4liters wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:05 pm
Sabiki rigs with pilchard are pretty good for yakkas and slimeys if they’re around, salmon would probably go them too but I’m not sure how to reliably catch small ones. I have no idea where specifically you’d find those species up the top end of the bay.

Squid are probably easier to find, any reefy/weedy area should hold them and they make really good if somewhat fragile baits.
Of course, that's a two hook sabiki, baited with pilchards to comply with fishing regs. Any more hooks is a no-no.
Having to deal with a ball of mono with 6 slimeys tangled up in it is more of a deterrent than fisheries to be honest
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:32 am

4liters wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:17 am
CarlG wrote:
4liters wrote:
Sabiki rigs with pilchard are pretty good for yakkas and slimeys if they’re around, salmon would probably go them too but I’m not sure how to reliably catch small ones. I have no idea where specifically you’d find those species up the top end of the bay.

Squid are probably easier to find, any reefy/weedy area should hold them and they make really good if somewhat fragile baits.
Of course, that's a two hook sabiki, baited with pilchards to comply with fishing regs. Any more hooks is a no-no.
Having to deal with a ball of mono with 6 slimeys tangled up in it is more of a deterrent than fisheries to be honest
Agreed, even two on a two hook rig gets messy too.
Two is exciting in that you get bait "quicker" but that can be a nuisance too. One inadvertantly falls off in the drink or on the deck, then you're dealing with a violently epileptic Slimmey, vibrating it's way all over the deck. And trying to pick up those slippery buggers kills time and the momentum of bait collecting.

They aren't called Slimmeys for nothing :o_0:

Cheers Bugs

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:44 pm

We buy the sabiki rigs with 1,o hooks not the tiny hooks makes the slimies easier to take off and last longer still hard work a string of 6 slimies from 60 mt down often get smashed by mako’s marlin on the way up.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:30 pm

CarlG wrote:
4liters wrote:

Sabiki rigs works for all kinds of bait/bread & butter species. Only 2x hooks can be baited on a sabiki, correct. However, from my understanding an unbaited 6x hook sabiki is also allowed as it is classed as 1x bait jig.

Gultch78
Has liked: 312 times

Post by Gultch78 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:55 pm

Redhunter wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:30 pm
CarlG wrote:
4liters wrote:

Sabiki rigs works for all kinds of bait/bread & butter species. Only 2x hooks can be baited on a sabiki, correct. However, from my understanding an unbaited 6x hook sabiki is also allowed as it is classed as 1x bait jig.
Attachments
Screenshot_20191027-155443_vic-fishing.jpg
I was a premium member before it was cool #aheadofthepack

Return to “Bait”