How far do you cast away from your boat??

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Re: How far do you cast away from your boat??

Post by dazz999 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:14 pm

blacklab99 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:22 pm
This always amazes me !
There's a great saying I was taught, many moons ago........
FISH YA FEET FIRST.
Absolutely nothing at all in the theory of what distance you cast from a boat. In fact, apply that rule to any type of fishing, rock/surf etc.
Caught many a good fish arriving on rocks, landbased, with guys already there pumping there chests on the distance they cast, for me to flick some bait or a lure just down in front and be instantly on a fish.
You've got a boat, you may well be on top of them, use the boat to your advantage, sound them, if you have a sounder, anchor off them and burley the fish to you, forget the distance casting from a boat, ridiculous.....
Obviously there are times, when you anchor off a point you want to fish, rocks, floating structure, ie popping for kingies etc, but you'd be better versed in burleying the fish to you for bottom dwellers.....

Col
Yep great advice

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:35 pm

If you are snapper fishing and cubing/floating baits then I’ll aim for the longer cast so that my bait is working it’s way down the water column in hopefully the same area that my cubes are drifting away. At some point they will cross over and hopefully look natural.

I would also advise a bit of distance when you are fishing multiple rods that are unweighted or you are fishing in tidal area in order to avoid tangles.

If you are fishing a paternoster or two in ppb then over the side, doesn’t matter.

What matters is matching the technique to the theory.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:45 pm

Kestrel wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:43 pm
bowl wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:48 am
Kgw ppb .
Early in session cast further 15-,20 Meters or so and moving baits in slowly, once it's comes closer to dusk kgw tend be practically under boat ,pmax 5 Meter cast.
Gumbos
Put two lines straight down under boat.with Yakka chunk on one and other salmon/ trevally n bottom a little.
Third rod cast out back with pilchard squid as bait.
Thanks Bowl. What's youradvice on casting for Reds and pinkies?
Cheers
Kestrel
Main advice would just use same size sinkers on your snapper out fits.
Cast one left ,one straight out back n one right
Lol...
I generally have two bait rods in for snapper , one under boat for yakkas ECT and 4 th one I'm casting plastics or vibes
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:47 pm

main reason for casting away from boat is to get more distance between your lines so its easier to avoid tangles when more active fish start running around and wrapping lines up

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:46 am

4liters wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:53 am
Personally I’ve never done well unless I do a 150m pendulum cast from the kayak
That's 'cos no self respecting fish wants to be caught by a kayak. Imagine the shame.?

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:57 am

I think casting away from the boat is more about getting the baits away from any noise transmitted down through the hull. In the uk, they sometimes practice 'uptiding' which literally means casting past the front of the boat, upstream as it were, as common belief has it that hull noise is carried more easily down current, (much like shouting into the wind), and therefore far less noise is audible upcurrent.
I reckon casting away from the boat is more advisable in shallow water, in deeper water, I doubt it makes any difference tbh. As a previous poster has mentioned, getting a good spread between baits is a good thing as well, as anyone who has hasd a decent red, or gummy will know about. The last two good reds I had in westernport went right across the spread of baits, with the usual juggling act that brings with it. Much easier if you're dealing with them one at a time instead of a mass of lines at once.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:57 am

Casting away from the boat results in more entanglements unless there is near zero current.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:37 pm

I tend to put my running sinker long then a paternoster short then long again the fourth rod I use for soft plastic,micro jigs or vibe this help with the swing of the boat reduces tangles.
I use a burley pot r/h side of the boat about 1 mt off the bottom plus chopped burley thrown in. By long around 10 mt.
The biggest problem I get is low current flow and wind on the side the boat the boat lies side on to the current, I could bridle but that gives me the shi@ts so I have extensions to my rod holders made that go all the way to the windscreen which allows me to move the spread of rods around to line up with the current flow whilst still keeping distance between them.

That is what I do when there is no contours or reefs. I tend to find a drop off then anchor to line up with the bottom of the drop off, or if it’s a reef anchor around 10 mt away with the boat stern facing the reef then fish back to the base of the reef.
My preference is to drift I love it covering ground and finding new marks.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:27 pm

General bait fishing i tend to drop no further than 10m or so from the boat if in shallow water and straight down if deeper (15m or deeper). But if im fishing with little to no weight for snapper i tend to try and cast out a bit further so that the bait will drift down through the water.

As a side note: If i am specifically targeting flathead with bait my favourite technique is to turn my rod holders so they are facing out the side of the boat, rather than out the back. And then drop the bait straight down until the sinker is just bouncing up and down on the bottom with the rocking movement of the boat. My theory is that this creates a little puff of sand each time the sinker hits the bottom and the flathead see it and automatically take the bait.

Obviously i have no real means to back this up, but i definitely seem to have a high rate of success for flathead using this method rather than casting and dragging baits behind the boat as it drifts.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Kestrel
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Kestrel » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:14 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:27 pm
General bait fishing i tend to drop no further than 10m or so from the boat if in shallow water and straight down if deeper (15m or deeper). But if im fishing with little to no weight for snapper i tend to try and cast out a bit further so that the bait will drift down through the water.

As a side note: If i am specifically targeting flathead with bait my favourite technique is to turn my rod holders so they are facing out the side of the boat, rather than out the back. And then drop the bait straight down until the sinker is just bouncing up and down on the bottom with the rocking movement of the boat. My theory is that this creates a little puff of sand each time the sinker hits the bottom and the flathead see it and automatically take the bait.

Obviously i have no real means to back this up, but i definitely seem to have a high rate of success for flathead using this method rather than casting and dragging baits behind the boat as it drifts.
... and do you find that helps concentrating your burley in the area where your bait is?
Cheers
kestrel

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”