Has liked: 190 times

Re: Where to fish

Post by e.welch » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:05 pm

eddyt wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:04 pm
e.welch wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:59 pm
So it wouldn’t be ok to eat?
I wouldn't eat the fleas if I were you. Apparently they don't taste very good. The fish should be fine though.
I removed the fleas when I cleaned the fish but would it still be ok the meat or would their be something wrong with it due to the sand fleas

e.welch

Post by e.welch » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:39 pm

Also would it be best to smoke the Trev or cook It on the bbq in some seasoning?

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Post by Irishfisherman » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:55 pm

e.welch wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:05 pm
eddyt wrote:
e.welch wrote:
I wouldn't eat the fleas if I were you. Apparently they don't taste very good. The fish should be fine though.
I removed the fleas when I cleaned the fish but would it still be ok the meat or would their be something wrong with it due to the sand fleas
Good work catching a trevally one of my favourites for bait and eating, my old man caught an 8.3kg snapper in WP a few years ago on a trevally fillet. It’s fine to eat though mate, don’t worry. Try not to think about it while your eating it though lol. I’m not sure why it’s only really the trevally that get those parasites. Cooking wise, I personally like the fishy, oily flavour it has so I would recommend just fry in a bit of oil with some salt, but it’s up to you. I don’t know what seasoning you should use.

e.welch

Post by e.welch » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:04 pm

Irishfisherman wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:55 pm
e.welch wrote:
eddyt wrote:
e.welch wrote:
Good work catching a trevally one of my favourites for bait and eating, my old man caught an 8.3kg snapper in WP a few years ago on a trevally fillet. It’s fine to eat though mate, don’t worry. Try not to think about it while your eating it though lol. I’m not sure why it’s only really the trevally that get those parasites. Cooking wise, I personally like the fishy, oily flavour it has so I would recommend just fry in a bit of oil with some salt, but it’s up to you. I don’t know what seasoning you should use.
I’m not a big fan of super fishy fish and the seasoning a South African spice mix it goes superb with most things

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Post by Irishfisherman » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:10 pm

e.welch wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:04 pm
Irishfisherman wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:55 pm
e.welch wrote:
eddyt wrote:
e.welch wrote:
I’m not a big fan of super fishy fish and the seasoning a South African spice mix it goes superb with most things
Go for it, wouldn’t say it’s super fishy so don’t worry too much.

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:52 am

Yeah parasitic louses are very common in some species of fish, you'll find a lot of garfish have them on their gills. They do no major harm to fish and shouldn't affect the eating quality.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”