Say Thanks

Fishing Victoria is always open to suggestions to improve the forums for you.
Post any questions, bugs, suggestions and feedback about the site here.
Rogue_Hunter

Say Thanks

Post by Rogue_Hunter » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:56 pm

Was browsing another forum when i noticed that they had implemented the "Thanks" button.

Its kind of like a "LIKE" button however it allows posters to build up reputation for their posts. Now not only can we judge a persons involvement by not just the number of posts (prone to spaming) we can check out their rating.

Any ideas if we will get this feature? :D
Thanks_Button.jpg
Thanks_Button.jpg (11.42 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... for_posts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Re: Say Thanks

Post by davek » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:24 pm

I really can't see the point of this, If you like someone's post why wouldn't you just comment, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Cuda
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Cuda » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:28 pm

Under every user name it says how many times they have been thanked, so that way you kind of know who the most helpful people are on the forum.
If you just comment, there's no trakc of how many people found the other posters comments useful/helpful.

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:29 pm

davek wrote:I really can't see the point of this, If you like someone's post why wouldn't you just comment, cheers davo
Agreed
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:18 pm

Another forum I am on has a 'Thanks' button and a 'Like' button! If we had a 'thanks' button, honestly I may use it as a way to acknowledge a post I like. Often you see a thread with some good fish pics and already there are many comments saying 'great fish' etc!!! Rather than trying to think of something 'different' to say I would likely hit 'thanks'. On the other hand, doing it this way is lazy but that is me!

As for 'rating' members, I'm not so sure about this? More to the point, the accuracy of the ratings. In the end we may just have mates 'thanking' mates. My concerns with this may be unfounded however. I have been known to worry about nothing - frequently :D

Also, with a ranking system, are 'highly ranked' members persons who have been helpful, or persons who have caught sh!tloads of fish and put up pics (not a bad thing!!!). If other people are lazy like me and use it as a 'like' button, then rankings may be influenced by fish caught and photographed.

If it went ahead, I would use the 'thanks' button occasionally as a 'like' button. Others can choose to comment anyway. However, I don't think I would take too much notice of the 'ranking' aspect.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

CrazyChenski

Post by CrazyChenski » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:39 pm

Sorry, personally think this will lead to one of those situation where more "ranked" member became Mr/ms popular, and starts a very unpopular trend that became demise of that forum.....
In another word, I don't believe we need a 'ranking' system just we can thank that person. A simple reply 'Thanks you' will be sufficient, unless you really want to boot licking, you can also do with words......

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:30 pm

davek wrote:I really can't see the point of this, If you like someone's post why wouldn't you just comment, cheers davo

Agreed if you have a comment on something that someone has posted then comment. This is a fishing site not facebook. :gone:

Cheers Steve
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 389 times

Post by fishingvic » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:13 am

I had a look at this mod some time ago. It's a quirky Mod which I liked the look of, but didn't think it was beneficial for a fishing forum.

It is likely to cause problems with the database when the forum software updates.

We already have a ranking system in place.
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:58 am

No Thanks ..

poppy62
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poppy62 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:35 am

Personally, I reckon if you brought in a "Thanks button" it would reduce the strength of the communication you currently get on this forum. Too many people would take the easy option and click on the button instead of taking a little time to post something. The fewer posts, the less interest in visiting that site = eventual death of the site !!! I belong to a number of sites with other sport interests and one of those took the "thanks" option and its gone from about 3-400 people using site daily down to maybe 30-40 people daily.

Leave it as it is !!

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”