What makes a better angler?

Fishing Victoria is always open to suggestions to improve the forums for you.
Post any questions, bugs, suggestions and feedback about the site here.
Berto Pescatore

What makes a better angler?

Post by Berto Pescatore » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:19 pm

-Read, Read & Read about all different experiences and techniques, and apply to practise all what you read.
-The fishing experience can be passed on from generation to generation, but not good enough without practice, the more you practice the more fish you will catch.
-No one knows everything; and there is always a learning curve and room for improvement.
-Safety always comes first, so; don’t risk it by all meanings.
-Enjoy your fishing time, have fun and let go any tension, there is a big difference in attitude between fishing as a hobby and fishing as a job.
-Target specific spices, and don’t leave it to whatever come on bit.
-Without exaggeration, don’t use the very very cheap gears, because it will end up by costing you more on the long run.
-Use the right gears and rigs for the right purpose in the right way.
-Don’t be afraid to innovate and try new techniques; fishing is all about of try and error.
-Weather is very important part of the game, so you better to study it well.
-Time is very important part of the game too, so you better plan it well.
-The more planning and preparation for your session the more chances to catch more fish
-Wear the right clothes, polarized glasses, earthy colour hat and sunscreen whenever you go fishing.
-Don’t talk loudly, don’t scream, don’t put radio or laud music (unless using headphone), don’t splash the water while fishing, because this all scare the fish and make them run away.
-Bring some drinks and snack food (but not Banana) to eat and drink during your longer fishing sessions.
-Patience is a must skill for better fishing.
-Don’t be greedy fisherman, and don’t kill any fish unless you are going to keep it.
-Don’t return the fish that you’ll not keep to water in the same spot that you are fishing in.
-Cleaning your catch and keeping it in cooler as soon as you catch it will improve the eating taste quality.
-Clean your gears after each fishing session will keep it last longer
-Keeping your records will help you improving your skills.
- If you are teaching someone fishing, teach him the quality of fishing before how to cast a rig to catch a fish

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: What makes a better angler?

Post by Fish-cador » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:58 pm

Nice tips. :thumbsup:

see that Psara1?

NO BANANA! :roflmao: :roflmao:

my 2 cents:

on planning (excluding the safey aspect of fishing), the less planning you do, the better. Be spontaneous and you will enjoy fishing more. My approach to fishing is not much focused on planning what to do when I reach my destination. I just ensure I have the things I need within reach and I react to circumstances. I've lost count of how many times I planned well only to throw the blue prints away because of our 4-seasons-in-1-day weather. Just last week, I was spinning for flatties - that was the plan for the day and I got some fish. However, I brought with me other gears and salted bait too but left them in the car. When I saw other anglers having luck on good size pinkies, a short walk back to the car and I switched from flatty fishing to snapper fishing in minutes. My point is, be ready and take advantage of what is presented to you. When I go snapper fishing, I always have my spin gear with me. While waiting for a bite, I am tossing SPs. When I go spinning for salmon in Peninsula area, I always bring squid jigs with me and the other way around if I am chassing cala - I bring lures too.

cover the bases and you will have the flexibility you need if you are presented with other choices.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:24 pm

Great tips!

Bet you many of us will take these on board and will be grateful for them.

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:30 pm

VooDooMagician wrote:Great tips!

Bet you many of us will take these on board and will be grateful for them.
which one in particular, the no banana? :lolf: :lolf:
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:23 pm

all good tips, well worth noting, good work Berto, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

SFP Guy.

Post by SFP Guy. » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:10 pm

Well said Berto!

You are wise in the ways of Fishing.

My Numero Uno: "Patience is a must skill for better fishing".

As a great man once said "I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience."

Cam.

slinga

Post by slinga » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:10 pm

Fish-cador wrote:Nice tips. :thumbsup:

see that Psara1?

NO BANANA! :roflmao: :roflmao:

my 2 cents:

on planning (excluding the safey aspect of fishing), the less planning you do, the better. Be spontaneous and you will enjoy fishing more. My approach to fishing is not much focused on planning what to do when I reach my destination. I just ensure I have the things I need within reach and I react to circumstances. I've lost count of how many times I planned well only to throw the blue prints away because of our 4-seasons-in-1-day weather. Just last week, I was spinning for flatties - that was the plan for the day and I got some fish. However, I brought with me other gears and salted bait too but left them in the car. When I saw other anglers having luck on good size pinkies, a short walk back to the car and I switched from flatty fishing to snapper fishing in minutes. My point is, be ready and take advantage of what is presented to you. When I go snapper fishing, I always have my spin gear with me. While waiting for a bite, I am tossing SPs. When I go spinning for salmon in Peninsula area, I always bring squid jigs with me and the other way around if I am chassing cala - I bring lures too.

cover the bases and you will have the flexibility you need if you are presented with other choices.

I've definately had more success on my spontaneous ventures, probably because my expectations are low.
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 387 times

Post by fishingvic » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:47 pm

I really need to do this more often:

"-Clean your gears after each fishing session will keep it last longer"
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

Berto Pescatore

Post by Berto Pescatore » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:39 am

Thanks for the feedback ... all good
In my opinion, we should not mix between the preparation and planning for a fishing session and being flexible to interact with the ever-changing circumstances.
I don’t that believe that any of experienced anglers will go to any fishing session without a minimum amount of planning … right?
Planning and preparing for our session is basically involves:
Choosing where to go, check the weather, select the time, check your tackle box is complete and ready for any sudden changes of plan, prepare your bait and burly, arrange your trolley (if you use one), preparing some snacks and drinks, have suitable closes ready … etc.
Implementing a good planning will save you from being sorry on missing some stuff or not being ready for the ever-changing weather and winds, and also will minimize the amount of surprises, which I’m sure not many of us prefer it.
Cheers

Berto Pescatore

Post by Berto Pescatore » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:42 am

Thanks for the feedback
In my opinion, we should not mix between the preparation and planning for a fishing session and being flexible to interact with the ever-changing circumstances.
I don’t believe that any of experienced anglers will go to any fishing session without a minimum amount of planning … right?
Planning and preparing for our session is basically involves:
Choosing where to go, check the weather, select the time, check your tackle box is complete and ready for any sudden changes of plan, prepare your bait and burly, arrange your trolley (if you use one), preparing some snacks and drinks, have suitable clothes ready … etc.
Implementing a good planning will save you from being sorry on missing some stuff or not being ready for the ever-changing weather and winds, and also will minimize the amount of surprises, which I’m sure not many of us prefer it.
Cheers

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”