Realistic photos.

Fishing Victoria is always open to suggestions to improve the forums for you.
Post any questions, bugs, suggestions and feedback about the site here.
mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: Realistic photos.

Post by mazman » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:52 am

colnick wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:19 pm
mazman wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:36 pm
It really depends on what you want the photos for. Personally I like photos that highlight the fish, showing its colours/markings and character, how big it is is a secondary element and for the most part I'm not to fazed about exactly how big someones fish is and tbh you can usually work out the size class from the pic to a reasonable degree of accuracy even when it is being held out.
Yes Mazman, but if you really wanted to highlight the fish you could leave the holder out altogether, as some posters do. I suspect that for some photographers the intention is to exaggerate the size of the fish.
The emotions of the angler can be part of the story. Additionally, photos of an angler holding a fish generally gain a lot more interest than shots of just the fish on Instagram which i think is a pretty good guide for what people like.

And the end of the day how others hold their fish doesn't really matter if they aren't causing unnecessary harm. If knowing how big a fish is bothers you so much start using other cues for determining the size. It's proportion to the background is a pretty poor gauge at the best of times, either look for anything in the foreground, lures left in fish, fingers etc. or look at the fishs' features large fish aren't proportionally scaled up versions of their smaller brethren and there are physical characteristics that can help determine the size class of a fish
Mattblack wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:29 pm
FishnMiss wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:42 pm
This should work.
These would be great for **** pics
Mini cereal boxes
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:17 pm

Please fellas, I can understand your urge to exaggerate the size of your catch, but if you must thrust your fish into the camera lens, can you at least include some weights/dimensions to put them in perspective for us. Some of us are genuinely interested. What possible objection could you have to including some weights/dimensions in your reports? A couple of really exasperating recent posts.
I live in hope, Col.

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:41 pm

I think it's a hard one since fishing photography on platforms like Instagram and Facebook is so focus on engagement that to stand out above the average persons photography you have to think about all the elements. Often the bigger fish loses to the best well placed and photographed shot.

Story is important and I've found that full sun photos have better engagement than overcast photos and even between these two shots. I've had more engagement on the smaller squid than the big one.
IMG_6966.jpg
IMG_6953.jpg
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:13 am

I don’t care if they are stretched out a touch.

Still better than dudes who don’t post pics and just whine about pics others posts.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:47 am

smokin_reels wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:13 am
I don’t care if they are stretched out a touch.

Still better than dudes who don’t post pics and just whine about pics others posts.
Touche!
Col.

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”