Reef island

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Reef island

Post by 4liters » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:35 pm

tuna tube wrote:I somewhat agree with you BUT, why are the greens hell bent on having more marine parks and locking up more and more bush.
they lost the plot IMO
This will probably end up in a new thread, but I'll strike while the mod is having internet problems...

Basically it is to protect those resources for the future. Keep in mind that their environmental policies are almost entirely based on scientific recommendations and I find that most of the objections to them are short term economic arguments or ideological ones, neither of which are appropriate in what should be a scientific debate. My biggest issue with the Greens is that a lot of their members use emotional and ideological arguments too (such as their refusal to consider nuclear power despite modern plants being very safe to operate), which IMO doesn't help their cause. They aren't the perfect political party but of all the options I consider them to be the most in tune with the real world and it's problems.

There is increasing empirical evidence that marine parks help improve fish stocks in adjacent areas. Personally I don't mind having to look a little harder to find a fishing spot if it means that there will still be good populations of fish around for the grand kids. You could make the case that you could have fishing in parks with heavy restrictions (such as only land based, no boating) to cause minimal damage, but once netting is banned in PPB that is almost what we will have I guess.

As for the bush, land clearing is one of the biggest contributors to carbon emissions, it also contributes to problems like salinity in some areas, you have all sorts of things that live in it on the brink of extinction (including Victoria's state emblem, the Leadbeater's Possum), and once the old growth forests are gone they aren't coming back. On the other hand if we leave some of it alone there will be parks for people to enjoy and make money from for decades to come.

When you sit back and take a bigger picture view of things (especially beyond our own lifetimes) it makes sense not to chew through everything we can lay our hands on as fast as we can. There is still plenty of water to fish in, there are places available to shoot in and a lot of farm land to grow food in. A few new parks won't change that much, but it might mean the difference between our kids and grandkids being able to enjoy a similar lifestyle to ours and not. Just my opinion but I think it is pretty immoral to do things in our time that results in people in the future having a crappier life than what we currently enjoy.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:45 pm

4liters wrote:
tuna tube wrote:I somewhat agree with you BUT, why are the greens hell bent on having more marine parks and locking up more and more bush.
they lost the plot IMO
This will probably end up in a new thread, but I'll strike while the mod is having internet problems...

Basically it is to protect those resources for the future. Keep in mind that their environmental policies are almost entirely based on scientific recommendations and I find that most of the objections to them are short term economic arguments or ideological ones, neither of which are appropriate in what should be a scientific debate. My biggest issue with the Greens is that a lot of their members use emotional and ideological arguments too (such as their refusal to consider nuclear power despite modern plants being very safe to operate), which IMO doesn't help their cause. They aren't the perfect political party but of all the options I consider them to be the most in tune with the real world and it's problems.

There is increasing empirical evidence that marine parks help improve fish stocks in adjacent areas. Personally I don't mind having to look a little harder to find a fishing spot if it means that there will still be good populations of fish around for the grand kids. You could make the case that you could have fishing in parks with heavy restrictions (such as only land based, no boating) to cause minimal damage, but once netting is banned in PPB that is almost what we will have I guess.

As for the bush, land clearing is one of the biggest contributors to carbon emissions, it also contributes to problems like salinity in some areas, you have all sorts of things that live in it on the brink of extinction (including Victoria's state emblem, the Leadbeater's Possum), and once the old growth forests are gone they aren't coming back. On the other hand if we leave some of it alone there will be parks for people to enjoy and make money from for decades to come.

When you sit back and take a bigger picture view of things (especially beyond our own lifetimes) it makes sense not to chew through everything we can lay our hands on as fast as we can. There is still plenty of water to fish in, there are places available to shoot in and a lot of farm land to grow food in. A few new parks won't change that much, but it might mean the difference between our kids and grandkids being able to enjoy a similar lifestyle to ours and not. Just my opinion but I think it is pretty immoral to do things in our time that results in people in the future having a crappier life than what we currently enjoy.
I agree with you, except for the fact that a lot of the greens policies aren't based on science, they are based on fear mongering and politically motivated reasoning. Believe it or not, while the DEPI is probably underfunded, it is actually a science based organization, unlike a right wing political party. We need to place more trust in our societies scientists, and less in newspapers and shock jocks.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:49 am

Is anything put out by the greens based on irrefutable science?

I hear lots of crickets and not much else. Its like saying Andrew Bolt was Gillards number 1 fan. Doesn't happen, won't happen

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:33 am

cobby wrote:Is anything put out by the greens based on irrefutable science?

I hear lots of crickets and not much else. Its like saying Andrew Bolt was Gillards number 1 fan. Doesn't happen, won't happen
Nothing imo

Like that moron laurie levy...turns up one day a year to protest duck shooting...never see him or hear from hear the rest of the year
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Lightning

Post by Lightning » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:06 am

Wow!!! Awesome catch mate :)

Return to “Western Port Bay Fishing Reports”