Land based fishing Lang Lang what could I catch?

stona

Land based fishing Lang Lang what could I catch?

Post by stona » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:03 pm

Hi I'm house sitting a friends property in Lang Lang over Xmas and it has beach frontage of about 300m to fish. It is from the edge of the Lang Lang river south for about 300m.

I know I could only fish the high tide as there is no water during low tide. What could i try and target over the high tide? I've heard there could be anything from small sharks to mullet and everything in between.

Also could I try and catch a few sand crabs for my Asian missus in that area, if so hoop nets the go?

Any ideas are welcome, what would you have a go at?

I have fairly light gear but also have a surf rod with a 6000 reel newly spooled with 15 pound mono.

what do ya reckon guys?

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Re: Land based fishing Lang Lang what could I catch?

Post by Tim399 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:12 pm

I havent personally fished lang lang, however from what i understand about western port, anywhere you find crabs your in with a shot at a gummy :cheers:

stona

Post by stona » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:18 pm

Thanks Tim399 that gummy possibility is why I'm bringing the old surf rod along

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:27 pm

Surf rod, use a decent bait for gummies. The smaller gear, use for mullet, whiting, flathead etc.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:30 pm

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:33 pm

stona wrote:Hi I'm house sitting a friends property in Lang Lang over Xmas and it has beach frontage of about 300m to fish. It is from the edge of the Lang Lang river south for about 300m.

I know I could only fish the high tide as there is no water during low tide. What could i try and target over the high tide? I've heard there could be anything from small sharks to mullet and everything in between.

I have fairly light gear but also have a surf rod with a 6000 reel newly spooled with 15 pound mono.

what do ya reckon guys?
It's pretty shallow up there around the river mouth but if you wont to dangle a line I'd load up with a 5/0 circle with some banana prawn on it
there's always a chance of a gummy and even a snapper - they both chase the small crabs up on the shallow mud banks

if you wont to head down to the ramp at LL quite a few fish along the wall at high tide again there's not a lpt of depth there but the odd gummy is bought in
of cause a little further down you could give stockyard point a run over the low again dont be scared to use banana prawn in ether spot
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

stona

Post by stona » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:37 pm

great advice guys thanks for the top info on my first post (was a bit nervous).
Banana prawns sound good to me ill load up.
Would it be worth throwing a sp around the river mouth or some metal slugs for mullet or salmon as there will be nothing to snag on.....

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:25 pm

stona wrote:great advice guys thanks for the top info on my first post (was a bit nervous).
Banana prawns sound good to me ill load up.
Would it be worth throwing a sp around the river mouth or some metal slugs for mullet or salmon as there will be nothing to snag on.....
In my opinion it is pretty much always worth having one of each with you. Cast a little slug around literally anywhere in salt water and you're a chance to hook up, same with the plastic. I usually do this while i'm waiting for a bite on my baits cos I can't sit still, and often do better than on the bait.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “Western Port Bay Fishing Reports”