hastings

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

hastings

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:37 am

Launched my cousins boat at Hastings and as we were heading out following the channel.

Jokingly I said to him, we should take a short cut, as it was high tide and before I knew it we were scooting across the flats at 20 knots and the sounder said we had 2 metres of water under us.

Fortunately the flats are flat, with no unexpected rises to run into. It certainly saved a bit of time, by taking the short cut.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Re: hastings

Post by skronkman » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:16 am

As long as you know your tides are big enough and your tide times are correct this can be done all over WP. I do it sometimes when coming out of corinella and heading up towards Lang Lang. Saves time and fuel, especially in the top end when trying marks in different channels. I don't do it any old place though, and usually feel my way over the first time before having confidence in doing it on the plane. you wouldnt want to go aground on a high tide! Could be a long wait to float her off again.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:46 am

Been fishing out of hastings for 7 or so years. Never cut hastings channel. Never ran aground either. Seen dozens who have. Not worth saving 5 mins imo.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:29 am

ducky wrote:Been fishing out of hastings for 7 or so years. Never cut hastings channel. Never ran aground either. Seen dozens who have. Not worth saving 5 mins imo.
Same, Fish out there almost weekly, never take the shortcut, and have never been bogged. I typically tow 2-3 boats a year off the mud coming through that channel. At the end of the day, it doesnt save a great deal of time, and you only need to make the wrong call once to make all that time you have cumulatively saved not worth it.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:58 am

Scraglor wrote:
ducky wrote:Been fishing out of hastings for 7 or so years. Never cut hastings channel. Never ran aground either. Seen dozens who have. Not worth saving 5 mins imo.
Same, Fish out there almost weekly, never take the shortcut, and have never been bogged. I typically tow 2-3 boats a year off the mud coming through that channel. At the end of the day, it doesnt save a great deal of time, and you only need to make the wrong call once to make all that time you have cumulatively saved not worth it.
I am planning to do a circumnavigation of French Island, will take emergency supplies just in case I get stuck. :o_0: and fishing rods to kill the time. :water:

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:18 am

you're gonna cut from boultons to the channels above corinella?

Probably have the right tides coming up over the next week or two. but I'd still take a book just incase you need to kill a few hours haha.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:21 am

ducky wrote:you're gonna cut from boultons to the channels above corinella?

Probably have the right tides coming up over the next week or two. but I'd still take a book just incase you need to kill a few hours haha.
I was thinking about going that way. Will makes sure that the sleeping bag is in the boat :a_goodjob:

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:27 am

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Scraglor wrote:
Boys, if the waters lapping at the wreck she's safe to run over the banks with over 1m of water under you. Been doing it for 20 years and yet to find a spot under .8m at that water level. Cutting across straight out and exiting near long island saves a heap of time, but **** as the sand shifts and the exits always change. Cutting across from the old moorings out the front of the marina to the last corner of the channel is child's play and saves a good 3 minutes each way. And doing the long run around the back of sandstone is more for convenience than pure time saving unless you open her up and go fast

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:28 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:

I was thinking about going that way. Will makes sure that the sleeping bag is in the boat :a_goodjob:
We've done it once. As Duckman said, from the end of Boultons. It is not for the faint hearted. I reckon on a low tide, you could just about wade from French Island to the mainland.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:59 pm

CarlG wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:

We've done it once. As Duckman said, from the end of Boultons. It is not for the faint hearted. I reckon on a low tide, you could just about wade from French Island to the mainland.
You could probably wade, if you didn't get swallowed by the mud monster.

I look at it as being an adventure, sure might get stuck, but then that is part of the adventure, will make sure I have plenty of aeroguard.

The plan is to circumnavigate both islands, not on the same day.

Return to “Western Port Bay Fishing Reports”