Fishing the eastern entrance

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: Fishing the eastern entrance

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:38 pm

Lightningx wrote:Lol I think everyone hates those things!!! I’ve caught my fair share of those as wel...
Them ******* are in plague proportions anywhere from san remo to wonthaggi offshore. We were diving for crays at punchbowl and wherever theres a cray these things are not far away.

Probably in my top 3 most despised pest fish along with parrots and banjos.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:41 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Lightningx wrote:Lol I think everyone hates those things!!! I’ve caught my fair share of those as wel...
Them ******* are in plague proportions anywhere from san remo to wonthaggi offshore. We were diving for crays at punchbowl and wherever theres a cray these things are not far away.

Probably in my top 3 most despised pest fish along with parrots and banjos.
Yep totally agree.
Many times me and my mate have been fishing at Phillip island and just got sick and tired of catching and releasing these things!!! Got very annoying! Then after that if it wasn’t one of those a banjo or an eagle ray :rofl:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:55 pm

rb85 wrote:The biggest problem fishing the eastern entrance is not the fact it doesn't hold fish but the amount of boat traffic throughout a lot of reasonable days.
Yeah this is a pain in the arse down that way. It’s pretty busy when the kings are on and every bastard is heading out to the pinnacle or the wreck. Plus that thundercat tour boat that doesn’t seem to understand the concept of personal space
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

phil1818

Post by phil1818 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:48 pm

Sounds like an all round **** area to fish then, I’ll give it a wide berth

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:12 pm

4liters wrote:
rb85 wrote:The biggest problem fishing the eastern entrance is not the fact it doesn't hold fish but the amount of boat traffic throughout a lot of reasonable days.
Yeah this is a pain in the arse down that way. It’s pretty busy when the kings are on and every bastard is heading out to the pinnacle or the wreck. Plus that thundercat tour boat that doesn’t seem to understand the concept of personal space

Makes it challenging. Have watched the thundercat buzzing around over summer.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:14 pm

phil1818 wrote:Sounds like an all round sh*t area to fish then, I’ll give it a wide berth
Not at all Phil it can be good just a bit busy in that channel remember it's not as wide as the western entrance and is used by the commercial fleet.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:59 pm

phil1818 wrote:Sounds like an all round sh*t area to fish then, I’ll give it a wide berth
Nah it’s mainly bad on sunny weekends in summer when it’s low swell out the front. This time of year until Christmas it’s be fine
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:06 pm

Bingo! There's better places to fish imo, especially for a gumbo. The western entrance produces much better results.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:20 am

Redhunter wrote:
Bingo! There's better places to fish imo, especially for a gumbo. The western entrance produces much better results.
Western entrance is big gummy central

But a lot deeper, less drop offs (its basically one big open channel) and a lot harder to fish with the absurd amount of water that flows through there. 20+ ounce sinkers are required throughout the ebb to hold bottom around buoy 13, and that's with braid.

But obviously a lot more rewarding with big gummies, schoolies, bronzies, threshers, blues and probably even makos and hammerheads lurking around the western entrance. Cant really say the same for the eastern.

Return to “Western Port Bay Fishing Reports”