Tough weekend on WP 18-19/5/19

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Tough weekend on WP 18-19/5/19

Post by repspec » Mon May 20, 2019 7:51 am

Hey guys
Went fishing, so i thought id throw up a report.
My boat is a 3.75mtr Bermuda tinny with a 15(20 carby) Fourstroke Mercury tiller steer (keep this in mind with the story)

Had a comp with my club and it was a squid and whiting comp over the 2 days of the weekend.
Had to work saturday morning, so on the water at 1230 saturday after voting. Launched from Tooradin and made my way over to Quail bank to drift for the squidlies.

Did a few drifts along and it was hard work, but managed to snag a 32cm hood and a 20cm hood on quail. Decided to try my luck over on Tyabb bank, however with the constant weed and lack of squid, i left with only 1 Cuttlefish that got its freedom (even after nearly declothing a brand new Sephia)
Weighed in my squid...1050g
Distance covered 34km

After speaking to several club members about the water quality (very murky and weedy) i pondered heading further down the port to try find clean water and hopefully big squid. So the decision was made to head down to Ventnor...from Tooradin.
I have a season pass at Tooradin, i know the ramp well and its easy to launch and retreive with not too many people launching there.

Sunday
Low tide was a .6 at around 7ish at Tooradin and i can get in at a .8 (going by Willyweather tides) so in the water at 830. Perfect flat conditions until i got down to the end of the middle spit. It had chopped up, but i had the plan to fish Ventnor so i pushed through. Got a little worse heading between the spit and Cowes, but pushed through. Much to my back/shoulders dismay. Finally got down to where i had planned on fishing...Onshore wind and swell/chop that made finding weed patches very hard for someone who had never been there :down:

Tried a few drifts for one lost jig, then was setting up a rod to drift and it got hit...squid in the boat. Smaller than the weighed one, but i had caught a squid. Snagged a leatherjacket in the side...then it seemed the wind picked up, so i made the tough decision to leave and head back to Quail...

Fished quail in one of the worst drifts for 1 more squid and called it a day around 2.

Luckily for me...i ended up winning the club comp with the next closest squid 970g! Very tough for everyone out there!
Distance travelled 79km

For those playing at home i travelled roughly 113km and used.......roughly 25ltrs of fuel (give or take a couple) Average speed was around 35kmh @5200rpm. Top speed was 42.5kmh.

Fair to say shoulders are a bit sore today from hanging onto my rodholer and tiller steer jumping waves. Might go check the welds on the boat today...

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Tough weekend on WP 18-19/5/19

Post by cheaterparts » Mon May 20, 2019 8:02 am

Plenty of Whiting swimming around the bottom at Reef Island to Dickies Bay on Saturday - we watched them swim around it was hard to talk them into biting though

got a small feed ( 5 between 30 and 35 cm ) but the Leather jackets and toads were quicker on the bait
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Mon May 20, 2019 8:11 am

Sounds like a tough day indeed, but seems like others had even tougher. Well done on winning it!
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon May 20, 2019 7:28 pm

A couple of hard days there respec, and an equally hard fought win too , , , , well done :a_goodjob:

Sometimes it's like "everything working against you" but glad you put in the effort and reaped the benefit , , , , back at home, a nice soak in the bath, crystals in the water, candles, , , , oups, , , , , is that only my "un-wind" routine :oops:

repspec wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:51 am

For those playing at home, , , ,

, , , , i travelled roughly 113km and used.......roughly 25ltrs of fuel (give or take a couple) Average speed was around 35kmh @5200rpm. Top speed was 42.5kmh.

I wasn't playing at home BUT I downloaded the "Fishing & Boating with respec" App and I can play next time.

Did you know your App is the number one App on Google Play :-D

respec App.PNG

Cheers, Bugatti

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon May 20, 2019 11:39 pm

That's a fair effort mate. I would have run out of fuel multiple times.
Cheers

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Tue May 21, 2019 5:36 am

Well done winning the comp, :thumbsup: and a good report, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Post by repspec » Tue May 21, 2019 7:18 am

you have too much time on your hands Bugatti :rofl:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue May 21, 2019 7:54 am

Nice report mate.
Sounds like it was definitely a tough day out there.
Congrats on taking out the comp!
Cheers :thumbsup:

Vargs

Post by Vargs » Tue May 21, 2019 11:44 am

I was out on Saturday around Quail and Tyabb bank and while the conditions were excellent the fishing was very slow. I did get a couple of very good sized squid at Tyabb but no fish at all at the top end, not even the junk.

Pistol

Post by Pistol » Tue May 21, 2019 9:18 pm

It was a tough weekend! I launched from Newhaven at daybreak on Saturday. Picked up a good squid second cast in Cleeland Bight and headed off-shore. Tried about 5 reefs between Woolamai and Pyramid Rock for gummies. Got two Draughtboard Sharks and a Blue Throat. Maybe $30 of fuel and $35 to take the boat out of "Lay-Up" with Club Marine for zip. To make it worse, there were a few whiting being cleaned at the table. Just as well the Pies won or it would have been a wasted day! Tides will be better next weekend but crap weather.

Return to “Western Port Bay Fishing Reports”