Newbie to boating WP

A-a-ron
Has liked: 32 times

Newbie to boating WP

Post by A-a-ron » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:39 pm

Hey guys, bit of a newbie fishing westernport by boat instead of landbased. Just wondering where abouts there is to get some Fresh bait for gummies. Found a snapper spot but couldn’t land any decent gummy bait. Have a 5.4m 115hp and where abouts should I stay away from until I get the hours up.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: Newbie to boating WP

Post by cobby » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:37 pm

What ramp are you launching at as that dictates where to go. Around the north arm berley up hard in around 10m of water off Quail bank or Tyabb bank. Bonus being squid in shallower water. Tide changes around the shipping channel (Usually bigger yakkas) or in the deep of the eastern channel alongside French Island, again berley hard.

As for where to stay away from, the western entrance, and more specifically the middle bank. It can be a glass out, yet you're bashing your way through 8ft swells with a 3 second period down there. Bit of confidence and it's no issue

A-a-ron

Post by A-a-ron » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:26 pm

cobby wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:37 pm
What ramp are you launching at as that dictates where to go. Around the north arm berley up hard in around 10m of water off Quail bank or Tyabb bank. Bonus being squid in shallower water. Tide changes around the shipping channel (Usually bigger yakkas) or in the deep of the eastern channel alongside French Island, again berley hard.

As for where to stay away from, the western entrance, and more specifically the middle bank. It can be a glass out, yet you're bashing your way through 8ft swells with a 3 second period down there. Bit of confidence and it's no issue

Thinking as writing it to write where I head out from and still didn’t add it. My bad.

Head out from Warneet at the moment just as I’ve been through there before on boat so it’s familiar. Sweet cheers for the info, I’ll give them areas a go next time I’m out.

Yea heard about the entrance and wasn’t too sure on the middle bank. Once get the hours up and confidence I’ll give them a crack with someone experienced on board just in case and to walk me through it.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:45 pm

If you burley up near the gas terminals near Hastings you should be able to get plenty of yakkas and slimeys.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

A-a-ron

Post by A-a-ron » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:47 pm

4liters wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:45 pm
If you burley up near the gas terminals near Hastings you should be able to get plenty of yakkas and slimeys.
Awesome thank you

nillwatson532

Post by nillwatson532 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:46 am

What ramp are you launching at as that dictates where to go. Around the north arm berley up hard in around 10m of water off Quail bank or Tyabb bank. Bonus being squid in shallower water.Tide changes around the shipping channel Usually bigger yakkas or in the deep of the eastern channel alongside French Island, again berley hard.

As for where to stay away from, the western entrance, and more specifically the middle bank. It can be a glass out, yet you're bashing your way through 8ft swells with a 3 second period down there.Bit of confidence and it's no issue.

Hi-Lo Industrial Trucks Co.

Return to “Western Port Bay Fishing Reports”