Thought it was a snapper

Caught a fish and you don't know what it is? Ask here...
foggybottom

Re: Thought it was a snapper

Post by foggybottom » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:02 pm

I just got back from Kerferd Rd, released one small Flathead and a pretty solid eagle ray. My first and awesome fun. Luckily someone had a net otherwise I would have had to walk all the way to the beach to release it.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:32 pm

yeah they are an awesomely powerful fish, just peeling line off the reel like no tomorrow. Got to see why they are called eagle rays too when the bugger got airborne about 30m away. It took almost 40 min to land mine (at sandringham) and we were both absolutely buggered at the end of the fight. tangled my other line and busted that off somewhere

I didn't know if they sting and it was too big to lift from the rocks. Wouldn't fit my net so I cut my hook off and left him on a shallow ledge under the water. poor thing was too tired to swim away i guess because i found it later stuck in a crevice from the wave action. well and truly trapped and getting bashed and cut up. I felt so guilty to see it like that but couldn't get him out.

Cuda
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Cuda » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:54 pm

I would agree they are a bit of nuisance. Never tried eating them and they can become boring if hooking into 2-3 a session. I like having them on when trying new gear though.

Return to “Fish ID”