Great session! Unidentified fish.

Caught a fish and you don't know what it is? Ask here...
Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Re: Great session! Unidentified fish.

Post by Irishfisherman » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:20 pm

ecoronad wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:02 pm
Irishfisherman wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:32 am
Had a wading session tonight ... 4 scallops .... some mussels
Technically, assuming you were wading under 2m of water at the low tide mark, you would have been breaking the law by collecting the molluscs.

https://vfa.vic.gov.au/recreational-fis ... -all-other
You can't collect any mollusc in waters less than 2m deep (the intertidal zone) in Port Phillip Bay. Click here for more information on Port Phillip Bay's intertidal zone.

You can't collect single shelled molluscs in waters less than 2m deep (the intertidal zone) in all Victorian waters, including Port Phillip Bay. Click here for more information on the intertidal zone.

You can't collect any molluscs in Marine National Parks and Sanctuaries. Click here for more information on Marine National Parks and Sanctuaries.
Just for future reference....

Btw, thanks for the info on the beaked salmon. Have never even heard of it, now I know I'll keep it if I ever catch one over the "size limit".
Thanks for letting me know. The thing is about where I spear, is that all of the Scallops or mussels that turn up there have been washed in after a storm, and are subsequently destined to be beached and then just die slowly by drying out in the sun. From a morality perspective I was probably doing the right thing, but legally as you said I was not harvesting within the law. I will definitely keep that in mind next time I’m out. The beaked salmon is very interesting, so glad I came across it never seen anything like it before, given that it’s not mentioned in the bag limit guide has no size limit and you can keep 5, just to let you know.

Return to “Fish ID”