Leatherjacket - but which kind?

Caught a fish and you don't know what it is? Ask here...
throwaway
Has liked: 6 times

Leatherjacket - but which kind?

Post by throwaway » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:14 pm

This was found washed up on the ocean beach around the Sorrento/Portsea area with stunning blue colouring I've never seen before.

According to my book it could be a Bluefin Leatherjacket or a Bluelined Leatherjacket but neither of these look quite right.

I'm assuming it is indeed a leatherjacket, and it may have changed colour somewhat since it passed away...

Thanks in advance!

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Re: Leatherjacket - but which kind?

Post by Irishfisherman » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:23 pm

Looks like a regular 6 spine, maybe during decomposition its changed colour? I cant imagine a live one looking like that. Im really not sure though, definitely very interesting.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:35 pm

throwaway wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:14 pm

This was found washed up on the ocean beach around the Sorrento/Portsea area with stunning blue colouring I've never seen before.

According to my book it could be a Bluefin Leatherjacket or a Bluelined Leatherjacket but neither of these look quite right.

I'm assuming it is indeed a leatherjacket, and it may have changed colour somewhat since it passed away...

Thanks in advance!
Your fish has the same center body marks as this fish in the picture.
Also known as the �trigger fish� due to the top spinal mechanism attachment to the body, this infamous fish is common to most Southern States. Normal habitat is sand through to reefy bottoms and makes excellent eating if prepared correctly. A range of scientific names, but the better ones are Meuschenia Freycineti and Meuschenia Hippocrepis.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

throwaway
Has liked: 6 times

Post by throwaway » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:49 pm

Yes, I definitely think you are right! Those two lines down the side are the giveaway.

In my book I had not noticed the two lines as it looks a bit more like a big spot there, but this is clearly the right fish I reckon.

If I'd known you could eat it I would have taken it home!!!!!
Last edited by throwaway on Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Fish ID”