Pulled out of Jacksons Creek

Caught a fish and you don't know what it is? Ask here...
Sonny_Jim
Has liked: 3 times

Pulled out of Jacksons Creek

Post by Sonny_Jim » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:20 pm

I think it's some kind of carp? Not sure though.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: Pulled out of Jacksons Creek

Post by hornet » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:30 pm

Looks like a tench..
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Sonny_Jim

Post by Sonny_Jim » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:36 pm

I reckon you might be right, thanks.

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:51 am

huh, interesting. I'm your man for all things carp but it's looking like a hybrid of some sort. it looks like the head of a cod, the scales are weird. usually, on a carp they are big and they stick out a bit. the fins also look weird. like what hornet said, the most likely fish is a trench.

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:15 am

Yeah a trench I'd say
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Post by Charles7 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:23 am

Definitely a tench; well done catching something in Jacksons Creek. I used to live out Sunbury way and fished it twice for not even a bite.

Sonny_Jim

Post by Sonny_Jim » Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:28 pm

You do have to find the right spot (as generic as that sounds). Spavin Lake ( even though it's stocked) has never produced for me, not even when I go there right after stocking. There's a quiet spot by the Nook which I go to some times, but that's mostly just short finned eel. I did spot a platypus there the other day which was cool.

This current spot I managed to pull out 4 eels, a tench and 2 filletable redfin over the course of about 3 hours. Will definitely be going back once I have some more time off.

Edit:. Jan juc worms on a paternoster, although I might try corn and/or a running sinker next time. I did notice the bites were quite shy

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:51 pm

what were you targeting? a running sinker with some corn will get carp any day.

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:23 pm

Back in the day (nearly 30 years ago) I used to fish to the left of the bridge on Bulla Rd, and I used to get small brown trout and carp/goldfish hybrids
using course fishing techniques, waggler floats with maggots for bait. Never got any decent size carp which is what I was fishing for although I'm sure they are there. Also caught a few turtles from memory which were a PITA.
Your pic is a tench, they can be a lot greener than that and are a beautiful looking fish straight out of the water

Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Post by Charles7 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:11 pm

Sonny_Jim wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:28 pm
You do have to find the right spot (as generic as that sounds). Spavin Lake ( even though it's stocked) has never produced for me, not even when I go there right after stocking. There's a quiet spot by the Nook which I go to some times, but that's mostly just short finned eel. I did spot a platypus there the other day which was cool.

This current spot I managed to pull out 4 eels, a tench and 2 filletable redfin over the course of about 3 hours. Will definitely be going back once I have some more time off.

Edit:. Jan juc worms on a paternoster, although I might try corn and/or a running sinker next time. I did notice the bites were quite shy
I fished Spavin several times for nothing at all, so I know what you mean there. At Jacksons Creek I fished a bit further down from The Nook (Apex Park to be exact) and then once out of town going towards Clarkefield. I ended up doing most of my fishing at the Upper Coliban Reservoir and the Coliban River and caught plenty of reddies and carp there (and even a rainbow trout once). My ex caught a couple of reddies in the lake at Walter J Smith Reserve in Riddells Creek and I once caught a rainbow trout there as well. Hanging Rock Lake also produced a trout for me. I've got some good memories living and fishing around there so it's good to see someone fishing out that way on this forum.

Return to “Fish ID”