Smoked Australia Salmon

How to prepare and cook your catch.
colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Re: Smoked Australia Salmon

Post by colnick » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:21 pm

blacklab99 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:01 pm
Col, What I found, is throw some stones in the wee burners before you fill it with meths, it will double the flame time.
I always bleed my salmon, real important and makes a big difference on the table.
I don't worry about marinating, they get fanned open, liberall coating of sea salt, followed by a generous coating of brown sugar, 45-50 minutes in the mobile type smoker, beautiful..... any stones, not porous will do the trick, dont know why, but they extend the burn time..

Col
Interesting Col. I always bleed the few salmon I am game to bring home. It sounds as if the brown sugar/sea salt coating might be easier and just as effective as the marinade. I am intrigued by the stones. Although the gas barbecue is quick and easy, I'll give those goolies a try in the interests of science.
Cheers, Col.

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:37 pm

This is the one I use. Just make a fire with BBQ beads and then add some wood. Mostly use a chunk of clean hardwood. Using fancy wood chips doesn't make much difference to the final taste.
Catch the Salmon kill them immediately , bleed them and place in esky with seawater and ice. Fillet at home skin and bone out. soak overnight in salt water and sugar. Brush with olive oil before smoking. Smoke at 100-120c for about 3 hrs. The freeze well after smoking. Usually break them up and add to salad to eat. Pic is wrong you put your fire in the small part and your fillets in the larger part
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:47 pm

Ya gotta wonder about an offset that’s advertised as having the fire in the cook chamber. But it would do the job nicely used properly. Do you have to burn a very small fire in order to get clean smoke?

If you’re starting out and want something cheap. Get yourself a JG offset plate for the weber and some heatbeads lump charcoal. Get playing. Using wood chunks like cherry wood etc. can get some good chunks at bunnings now. Full disclosure I’m sponsored by heatbeads. But I only approached them because I use and love them.

I started with an aldi gasser. Progressed through to a flaming coals offset. Then Built this below with marto from berleypro for our comp team. Now that my mate has bought acreage he is storing it at his some I’m using a low n slow parts drum smoker and the flaming coals.

Last edited by ducky on Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:48 pm

Interesting topic.

Although i am a qualified chef, i dont have much experience or knowledge of smoking fish, i would say i have only done it a handful of times in my 20+ years of cooking.

I have an offset smoker like re-tyred, but i almost never use it as i dont have time to smoke a 12 hour brisket or shoulder. I never really thought of using it to smoke the fish i have caught. My Webber kettle gets much more use, especially the rotisserie i got for Xmas last year. But this has definitely inspired me to give it a go if/when we can catch some fish.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:48 pm

ducky wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:47 pm
Ya gotta wonder about an offset that’s advertised as having the fire in the cook chamber. But it would do the job nicely used properly. Do you have to burn a very small fire in order to get clean smoke?

If you’re starting out and want something cheap. Get yourself a JG offset plate for the weber and some heatbeads lump charcoal. Get playing. Using wood chunks like cherry wood etc. can get some good chunks at bunnings now. Full disclosure I’m sponsored by heatbeads. But I only approached them because I use and love them.

I started with an aldi gasser. Progressed through to a flaming coals offset. Then Built this below with marto from berleypro for our comp team. Now that my mate has bought acreage he is storing it at his some I’m using a low n slow parts drum smoker and the flaming coals.

The Weber kettle is handy.
You reckon the JG offset plate be good enough?
Or I should just get one of those offset bbq smoker?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

ducky

Post by ducky » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:15 pm

Depends on the amount of food you want to cook. If you want to do while briskets you’ll need something bigger than a weber.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:15 am

Just have a small slow fire in ours. Sometimes have to add a few more heat beads and wood. I can get about 3kg of fillets in it in one go.
Once they are cooled off I layer them in a container with grease roof paper between then freeze them. Can get them out 1 fillet at a time.
The secret of eating them is to not eat a great big junk, use them in a salad or stir fry to add flavour. Sometimes we have them with cheese and crackers as a snack with drinks.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:23 am

ducky wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:47 pm

That's a series smoker. You could smoke a whole cow in it,

ducky

Post by ducky » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:54 pm

Yeah without being a smart ass we actually could. Here’s the cool we did for the bushfire fundraiser a few months ago. That was 15 lamb shoulders and 11 pork butts. We worked out we still had the room for a further 12 briskets in the rhs chamber.

Not here to fornicate with spiders.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:19 pm

ducky wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:54 pm
Yeah without being a smart ass we actually could. Here’s the cool we did for the bushfire fundraiser a few months ago. That was 15 lamb shoulders and 11 pork butts. We worked out we still had the room for a further 12 briskets in the rhs chamber.

Not here to fornicate with spiders.
Oh dayumn! 😱 🤤

That settles it, after this covid thing ends, I will get myself an offset bbq smoker!
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”