Underrated species to eat

How to prepare and cook your catch.
canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Re: Underrated species to eat

Post by canned_tuna » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:49 am

4litres, please dont tell me you are saying slimy mackerel and kingfish are of similar taste???

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:30 pm

Slimy mackerel is right up there in my list of favourites. Grilled with lemon and pepper, or Japanese style aged and marinated in rice wine vinegar. Only problem is finding them. They aren't easy to target because they show up randomly but inconsistently in ppb. If anyone knows where you can regularly catch slimeys (not yakkas) I'd love to know.

Australian salmon is also another one that everyone seems to hate. If that's you then I bet you haven't tried salmon sashimi/ceviche. Cut into cubes and soak it in lemon juice for 5-10mins, served with tomato, red onion, olive oil, black pepper and lightly salted. Yum...right up there with any other white fish. It does need to be bled when caught and eaten fresh though.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:26 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:56 am
I'm a massive fan of couta (not the small boney ones). Also like gurnard, leather jacket,
The areas I fish (bottom end of WP) are full of these which is fine by me
I don't mind couta myself but then it was a fish that use to be as common as flake in the fish and chip shops when I was a kid

Snook isn't bad fresh ether plenty of them around the bottom end as well
Kimtown wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:32 am
Personally think Elephant sharks aren’t bad at all but I know a lot of blokes who wouldn’t feed the things to their dog
I have eaten quite a few ellies but every now and then you get one that is pretty bad and I don't know why - I don't tent to take them these days after getting a couple that were pretty rank

eddyt wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:30 pm
Australian salmon is also another one that everyone seems to hate. If that's you then I bet you haven't tried salmon sashimi/ceviche.
I'm not that keen on Salmon myself and prefurit as bait but it does pickle well

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5383
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:41 pm

eddyt wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:30 pm
Slimy mackerel is right up there in my list of favourites. Grilled with lemon and pepper, or Japanese style aged and marinated in rice wine vinegar. Only problem is finding them. They aren't easy to target because they show up randomly but inconsistently in ppb. If anyone knows where you can regularly catch slimeys (not yakkas) I'd love to know.

Australian salmon is also another one that everyone seems to hate. If that's you then I bet you haven't tried salmon sashimi/ceviche. Cut into cubes and soak it in lemon juice for 5-10mins, served with tomato, red onion, olive oil, black pepper and lightly salted. Yum...right up there with any other white fish. It does need to be bled when caught and eaten fresh though.
I like to test all my fish shallow fried with just salt and pepper, if they taste good then I will eat the odd one. Nothing wrong with adding other stuff but that doesn't give you a true indication of the quality of taste

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:32 pm

I had Yakka sashimi once, wasnt bad actually

Tackleberry
Has liked: 298 times

Post by Tackleberry » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:00 pm

Charles7 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:28 am
Any fishing book will mention how good leatherjacket is to eat, but so many people overlook it. Glad to see others on here enjoy it. It's one of my favourite fish to eat.

I once ate a carp out of the Upper Coliban and discovered it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected it to be. Not the best texture but tastes like a regular fish otherwise imo.
And probably the easiest fish that ever swam to clean
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:54 am

Barely dead or not even dead Silver Trevally with a tiny bit of soy. One of the best fish for fresh sashimi going

Don Fisher
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Don Fisher » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:53 pm

Silver whiting, snook.

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”