GURNARD - WELL WORTH A TRY!!!

How to prepare and cook your catch.
Paulanderson
Has liked: 63 times

GURNARD - WELL WORTH A TRY!!!

Post by Paulanderson » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:47 pm

At the cleaning tables at Lakes Entrance last Sunday and Monday I was one of a very few that was cleaning and filleting a few large Gurnard. Most of those cleaning fish said they did not want to get spiked and threw them back (and even cut them off) and had never eaten them. Sunday night I had Gurnard and Chips and Monday night Flathead and chips. While the taste and texture is a little bit different they are both great eating - the reason I like to keep a few Gurnard when I get the chance. Gurnard are easily filleted - I just wrap a small piece of towel around the head and hold firmly and carve the fillets of each side - then it is very easy to remove the skin without scaling. It is equally easy to cut out the bones. Interestingly, the pelicans that hang around the cleaning tables say no to Gurnard heads/frames.

As to the recipe - I thoroughly mix an egg and milk, dip the fillets in the mixture and then coat in bread crumbs - then about a minute in hot oil immediately after cooking the chips - then salt and pepper to taste (plus some lemon juice if that is your thing). I cook most saltwater species like KGW, Flathead, Leatherjackets and Gummy Shark the same way.

So.............give Gurnard a try!
Attachments
GURNARD.jpg

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Re: GURNARD - WELL WORTH A TRY!!!

Post by meppstas » Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:49 pm

Nothing wrong with Gurnard, I've eaten them before and they're quite nice to eat.. :tu:

You're spot on there to Paul, most people do through them back due to the spikes.

cheers Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

ango

Post by ango » Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:00 pm

I keep a couple if I have already caught a flattie or 2 and need more to get a meal together. My enthusiasm for them has waned a bit after I got spiked, there was plenty of pain and my finger swelled up for 3 days so I prefer steer clear of them if I can, they are good tucker though.

Paulanderson
Has liked: 63 times

Post by Paulanderson » Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:34 am

Sorry to hear that Ango - so far I have avoided Gurnard spikes but I handle them very carefully both alive and dead!

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:33 pm

Bash them on the head with the attitude adjustment tool. Bust off the spikes with pliers and into the Esky. They taste great, just not a lot on them, so only keep the big ones. Fillet and skin. More people should eat them.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”