How far can you cast with 12" rod and 3oz sinker?

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
dezza68

Re: How far can you cast with 12" rod and 3oz sinker?

Post by dezza68 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:15 pm

JS270 wrote:Once you get a good technique and have the right gear casting longer distances isn't that hard.
https://youtu.be/SNUgJ9gskMQ
Any tips on casting really big baits? Im trying to nab a shark off the shore and waiting for ballooning conditions is just a lottery.
Cast, catch and put it back

JS270
Has liked: 1 time

Post by JS270 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:13 pm

Best way to get a big bait out without a ballon or taking it out in a yak is slide baiting as used in South Africa but you still need to be able to deploy a heavy grip lead out a long way to get the bait out as well.
https://youtu.be/nVWiIgMceuk

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:29 pm

ingeer wrote:Hi Gents,

I was using a 6-8kg 12" graphic surf rod, 3oz snapper/bomb sinker without bait, tried numbers of cast (just stand still, cast with sinker behind me sitting on ground), the best distance i got is close to 80m.

Watched a couple of youtubes boasting pendulum cast, according to them with this outfit one should be able to hit up to 150m.. does the technic really make this HUGE difference??

edit: more info about the outfit: daiwa revos mx 4000 loaded with 15lb braid, about 3~4m 15lb leading mono for casting flexibility.

Cheers,
Ingeer

I have two rods, an 11' and 9' my son uses the 11' and gets slightly more distance than me with the 9. We are using 20lb braid with lures that weigh 45 grams.

To test out the distance I was casting, went down to the local rugby footy field, from goal to goal it is 100 metres and I was a little shy by about 2-3 metres casting with my 9' rod, 20lb braid and 45 gram lure.

When I first started casting, I was getting a mighty 50-60 metres. So practise can improve your distance.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:30 pm

You did not answer the question. Do you cast like that while using pillies? I bet you dont.

Slide baiting only works well if your rod is in elevated position and the angle of the line is steep enough for the bait to slide down until it hits the stopper, swivel or sinker. good luck slide baiting from the beach. You have better chance training a crab to carry your bait to the end of the line. Lol

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:40 am

Fish-cador wrote:You did not answer the question. Do you cast like that while using pillies? I bet you dont.

Slide baiting only works well if your rod is in elevated position and the angle of the line is steep enough for the bait to slide down until it hits the stopper, swivel or sinker. good luck slide baiting from the beach. You have better chance training a crab to carry your bait to the end of the line. Lol
Casting a 3oz sinker and a whole pilly, I'd be lucky to get 70 metres. Take away the pilly and the distance would increase.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:45 am

Fish-cador wrote:You did not answer the question. Do you cast like that while using pillies? I bet you dont.

He was using half pillies and casting like that the day we went to Raffs beach.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

ingeer

Post by ingeer » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:26 am

Wow thanks for so many advices gents. I went down a local beach last weekend and practised a number of times.. ended up snapping the mono leading a couple of times.. came back checked up internet and learned something more about shock leader has to be much stronger than the main line.. i was using same size (15lb mono + 15lb braid) apparently the mono lead cannot cope with that burst force during the casting. I'll probably replace it with something 30lb+ and 2xlength of rod + 6 cranks of reel in length (which learned from internet as well, big thanks to Google!) and keep on practice!

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:03 am

^ JS is the man and slide baiting is awesome. I'm finding it just as situational as ballooning. You need to time the conditions to be in your favour just to get a bait out.

Casting is a god damned art form. JS's pendulum cast is something i'm still not quite down with. I'm using a technique i've called an inline pendulum which is the same sort of thing but only rotating on 2 axis instead of three. 4 ounce grappnel, mullet cutlet and a pulley rig with impact shield clips are getting about 110m off a rock ledge with a tail wind. For perspective, on the same rod I can put a 100g slug 165 on 35lb ygk braid. I don't use shock leaders at all. Exploded a swivel once but I think it was a dodgey product. since I switched my leader knots to FG's haven't been having problems casting with break offs at all. I'm using 60lb black magic leader. Rod is a 1303 nitro surf messiah and reel is a Quantam Cabo PTSE 40.

Back on topic. Slide baiting is a good option. Ballooning is a great option. Ballooning a heavy grapnel (8+oz) out on a lbg rod then sliding a bait down the line is freaking brilliant, but a lot of things need to be going in your favor for it to be effective.

For the vast vast majority of situations, a 4 oz grapnel or star on a pulley rig with an imp clip and bait will get the job done.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:45 am

JS270 wrote:Best way to get a big bait out without a ballon or taking it out in a yak is slide baiting as used in South Africa but you still need to be able to deploy a heavy grip lead out a long way to get the bait out as well.
https://youtu.be/nVWiIgMceuk
Im hitting about 160m using the off ground cast with a 6oz lead so I can do the slide method but because im off the beach the angle is not huge so im not certain that the bait is getting all the way down the line. The tidal movement is lateral so ballooning just doesnt work.

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:03 am

DougieK wrote:^ JS is the man and slide baiting is awesome. I'm finding it just as situational as ballooning. You need to time the conditions to be in your favour just to get a bait out.

Casting is a god damned art form. JS's pendulum cast is something i'm still not quite down with. I'm using a technique i've called an inline pendulum which is the same sort of thing but only rotating on 2 axis instead of three. 4 ounce grappnel, mullet cutlet and a pulley rig with impact shield clips are getting about 110m off a rock ledge with a tail wind. For perspective, on the same rod I can put a 100g slug 165 on 35lb ygk braid. I don't use shock leaders at all. Exploded a swivel once but I think it was a dodgey product. since I switched my leader knots to FG's haven't been having problems casting with break offs at all. I'm using 60lb black magic leader. Rod is a 1303 nitro surf messiah and reel is a Quantam Cabo PTSE 40.

Back on topic. Slide baiting is a good option. Ballooning is a great option. Ballooning a heavy grapnel (8+oz) out on a lbg rod then sliding a bait down the line is freaking brilliant, but a lot of things need to be going in your favor for it to be effective.

For the vast vast majority of situations, a 4 oz grapnel or star on a pulley rig with an imp clip and bait will get the job done.

Ive been using a pulley rig but set as an over and under as im using 3ft of wire and 3ft of 100lb mono and doing a soft pendulum. I might have to change the tld to the lethal 100 though as just cant cast it far enough.
Might have to rethink my sliding clip as it doesnt run a smoothly as the one on the video.
Im closer than I was a month ago.

Return to “Surf Fishing”