Merimbula Fishing Advice

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
davjak
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Merimbula Fishing Advice

Post by davjak » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:53 am

I don't go to Merimbula and Bermagui until Feb 24th! The wait is killing me!

westvic
Has liked: 154 times

Post by westvic » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:54 pm

thanks to all who posted, heading there soon

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:15 pm

Thanks CalaMarinz1 for the info ... juat left Merimbula and arrived in Sydney ... promised my kids not to visit another beach here but just maybe .. jusy maybe Bondi or Manly :)

Fished around Merimbula and Eden and had a great time. Followed your advice and check with the chipmill and was told it is closed to the public. But the nice gentleman did mentioned about the naval wharf but could not find it at all - even Uncle Google indicates it's the Eden Wharf.

Did visited Tathra Historic Wharf and it looks very inviting but not much room left by the time I was there - One of the place to be visited next time I am back there.

Cheers :)

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

pwalnuts

Post by pwalnuts » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:10 pm

I fished Tathra Wharf last night but the conditions are pretty bad there at the moment due to recent heavy rainfall. The water resembles the Yarra :( I mostly had the entire wharf to myself so that should give you an idea how well it's fishing.
I tried to catch some yakka's etc on a Sabiki but only managed one. Flicked some squid jigs around to no avail but got a weird little spotted brown shark later on a pilly.
Caught a bunch of whiting and some pinkies in Merimbula Lake today though, which was nice :)

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:55 pm

Hi Pwalnuts,

Learnt from the locals while fishing at Eden wharf the best way to fish for those yakkas is to use a running sinker rig without or very little weight, small hooks, tiny chicken pieces for baits. Just either flick out and let it slowly sink or just drop it straight down in front of you - about a couple metres below the surface. Then just wait and lift up your catch.

Sunset and sunrise are the best time - these are the times the locals come out to play.

It was just awesome to watch and learn from these experieced fellows. Best thing is to have success applying what you just learnt.

Good luck and enjoy your fishing up there :thumbsup:

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

pwalnuts

Post by pwalnuts » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:19 am

Thanks VooDoo, I think I will head up there again tonight, looks like the water has cleared up. Will take your advice and hopefully get some yakkas followed by a giant kingfish :)

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:34 pm

Great old thread this.. I’m heading up there early Jan.. anyone have some fresh knowledge to share?
Much appreciated

tommyfishunter

Post by tommyfishunter » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:38 pm

I just arrived in Merimbula today had a quick flick from the beach out from the boardwalk at low tide casting into the channel landed a few different species in 30 minutes of work.
Nothing massive but good fun.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:16 pm

Not bad mate. Sounds like fun. I love that place. Gotta go back there :)

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:49 pm

CalaMarinez1 wrote:
azkay wrote:Hi Team,

Heading to Merimbula this Christmas Break. Keen to get onto some fish.....

Curious to see if there are any members who are knowledgeable in that area??

I love fishing the surf/rocks so that's what i'll be doing there. Also, love chasing the bigger species at night so hopefully ill throw a little bit of that in there too.

I'd like to find the Salmon & Tailor off the surf during the days and maybe float out some bigger baits at night time for possible Jewies & Kingies....
I do a lot of Surf/Rock fishing here so i'm familiar with this type of fishing. However any advice would be appreciated. Beaches that have been productive for members in the past?

Hi Azkay. Im happy to give you all my best spots up sapphire coast ;) i also grew up goin up to eden merim tathra for close to 30 yrs.

ok so SURF spots ive found up there (tips gained from local buddies & lots trial & error;) are:

before Eden about 15 mins or so there is a turn off to Ben Boyd National Park . you can find it on maps. once you turn off the highway you drive for about 25 mins on a dirt road (edron rd) you turn right onto saltwater creek rd and go right to end where there is a carpark and access to beach. If unsure just ring tackle shop and theyll know how to drive to 'benboyd surf beach';)

you wanna fish the gutters on left towards eden direction.

**Key point is you must get there by 4-430 AM latest so you have baits in water before sunrise!. The big salmon bolt thru at predawn brekky blitz then p1ss off not long after sunup.

(basic surfrod.
paternoster with starsinker . use ganged 3hook on whole pilchard . we use to attach the ganged hooks swivel onto the main line by simply pinching a loop out of the main line to act as the dropper leader if that makes sense. that way you avoid lots of tangling the rig up in the surf.)
can add a surfpopper if u want but the pilchards all you need when they are biting.

#2 Tathra Surf beach

Main spot from last few years is at the surf beach just past tathra main town . turn off on right very soon after passing caravan park and Main beach.
the surfbeach has a small spaces for camping and carpark. outdoor toilet. wallabies;)

walk towards beach and fish the deep gutter that forms on the left after you walk onto beach.
same rig as benboyd. Times: more active than benboyd. predawn and morning -arvo rising tide.

my catches: big 45cm+ Salmon & big Tailor.

Buy good qual pilchards. best u can get that wont break apart in surf.( one trick is using elastic thin white fishing thread.if stuck with soft pilch. you can easily tie it around the pilchard on the ganged hooks by wrapping it around like a mummy up body and then tie if off )

Jetty fishing:
-Tathra has larger yakkas , slimy mackerels compared to eden wharf or merimbula wharf.

use those easy premade Sabiki type dropper rigs with chopped fish or squid pippies etc.

fish depth of 3-4m under surface. u dont need to go real deep there. float fishing here with live bait yakka under a balloon can get bonito couta sumtimes kingfish.

lures like any metal silver type for salmon bonito on the surface.

and if u fish to the right hand side on the very corner facing towards the rocks , you can get nice size squid.
iv caught many off that railing and corner using float 1m leader to a size3-4 squidjig.

i think thats it. good luck. if i remember anything else il update you.
Great info to share mate

Return to “Surf Fishing”