Flounder

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
Kurt74

Flounder

Post by Kurt74 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:32 am

Hello!I want to ask about how catch flounder whithout diving!I am interested only shore,spear!Also interesting to learn about fishing with.I live in Carrum Dawns!I would like to ask you in more detail!The best time to go(night,moon,high tide) ?Is it possible for one person?Can you write to me in detail or send me a photo of route for catch on spear!At what depth is better to go?What you need a torch and spear!?Does it depend on the time of year?Thanks

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Flounder

Post by smile0784 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:30 am

There are threads up on here already about flounder.
Have you tried searching from for them?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:02 am

Hey mate. Search through and have a read through some of my old reports. I wrote up a lot to do with floundering :)

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:23 am

I have done a lot in the past and have never really had to go any deeper than waist deep. Most of the ones I have speared have actually been in around knee deep water, with some big flatties as well. You want the water to be as calm and clear as possible and I usually go around a low tide as I find I can cover more ground. I always go at night and have done very well just after a new moon.
Hope that helps you a bit :)

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Post by Irishfisherman » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:44 pm

A few months ago I speared a pretty big flounder near Seaford pier there is also usually flathead as well. I have noticed heaps of small flounder which means there are bigger ones about. There are also lots of garfish so it’s worth bringing a net.

Kurt74

Post by Kurt74 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:28 pm

Thanks to everybody!I have two questions!How do determine the good weather in which you can go floundering(for example,the wind 15 m or the height of the wave, and on what site)?The moon!Can I have a full moon or just a new one?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:31 pm

Weather wise I have gone when its as calm as possible. Have got them around a full moon but never seem to get as many.

GregExplores
Has liked: 67 times

Post by GregExplores » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:41 pm

Irishfisherman wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:44 pm
A few months ago I speared a pretty big flounder near Seaford pier there is also usually flathead as well. I have noticed heaps of small flounder which means there are bigger ones about. There are also lots of garfish so it’s worth bringing a net.
Can you catch them during the day or only at night? I see small 5cm when I am swimming sometimes during the day but have never spotted a big one

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Post by Irishfisherman » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:35 am

GregExplores wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:41 pm
[quote=Irishfisherman post_id=287684 time=<a href="tel:1547887493">1547887493</a> user_id=17671]
Can you catch them during the day or only at night? I see small 5cm when I am swimming sometimes during the day but have never spotted a big one
[/quote]

I very rarely see large flounder during the day, and when I have they are generally pretty spooked, most effective to target them at night with prawning lamp and a spear. I have never caught a flounder on rod and line in Australia, back home in Ireland it was easy along with many other flatfish, but I believe the ones in Victoria are different and possibly only feed on very small crustaceans. There is a more aggressive species of flounder in NSW that can be caught on lures but it is a different species to the ones we get down here. I know they also live in estuaries like Patterson river, and I even saw a cormorant eating a small flounder in Kananook creek a few weeks ago so maybe worth a try at the mouth of some of the estuaries.That’s about all I know regarding flounder in Australia.

GregExplores
Has liked: 67 times

Post by GregExplores » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:38 am

Irishfisherman wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:35 am
GregExplores wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:41 pm
[quote=Irishfisherman post_id=287684 time=<a href="tel:1547887493">1547887493</a> user_id=17671]
I very rarely see large flounder during the day, and when I have they are generally pretty spooked, most effective to target them at night with prawning lamp and a spear. I have never caught a flounder on rod and line in Australia, back home in Ireland it was easy along with many other flatfish, but I believe the ones in Victoria are different and possibly only feed on very small crustaceans. There is a more aggressive species of flounder in NSW that can be caught on lures but it is a different species to the ones we get down here. I know they also live in estuaries like Patterson river, and I even saw a cormorant eating a small flounder in Kananook creek a few weeks ago so maybe worth a try at the mouth of some of the estuaries.That’s about all I know regarding flounder in Australia.
[/quote]

Thanks mate! I might go give the mouth of Kananook creek a go and also Seaford pier after we are allowed to fish again, hopefully i don't run into any stingrays! :gj:

Return to “Surf Fishing”