Hitting up the surf coast

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Hitting up the surf coast

Post by KeenAds » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:12 pm

Bit of a late report from the long weekend.

With the weather forecast looking good for the long weekend and Saturday looking like the pick of the bunch I decided to hit the surf coast for surf fishing action. This was my first surf fishing adventure for a few months as I have been busy with work and family stuff etc.

Saturday morning woke up and got everything ready and packed the car and off I went with my 9 year old. First stop was at Bancoora Beach walked down to find lots of weed about probably from the storms we had early last week. Anyhow not to be discouraged we jumped back in the car and drove to Jan Juc. We were greeted with temporary fence blocking the entrance to the surf life saving club car park so continued around to the other side. We parked the car and got sorted and headed down to the far left hand side away from all the surfers. It was a beautiful morning with a north easterly blowing which gave us relatively calm seas. Few guys already there fishing but after talking to a few blokes the fishing seemed very quiet. Anyway we stayed for a few hours and apart from a small tommy rough we didn’t turn a reel. There was still few bits of weed about which was starting to get annoying and my son was losing interest so we decided to pull the pin and head further up the coast.

By this time it was about 1pm and roads were pretty busy, we drove through Anglesea which was packed out and through Hutt Gully and Fairhaven all the car parks and side of the roads were full with nowhere to park. We ventured a little further and got to Moggs Creek to find that car park closed off, looks like they are building some sort or bridge. Drove a little further and finally found a car park past the memorial arch. We got sorted and headed down to fish the 3:45pm high time. One again things were pretty quiet however as the sun started to go down and dusk came we started to get a few enquiries. We stayed till about 7:30 and ended up with 6 salmon all around the 30-35cm mark. It was a good day and my son enjoyed himself which was the main thing. As the tide got higher the weed started coming in but was still fishable. Bait of choice was bluebait and squid.

Cheers

Bugatti

Re: Hitting up the surf coast

Post by Bugatti » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:04 pm

KeenAds wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:12 pm

Saturday morning woke up and got everything ready and packed the car and off I went with my 9 year old.

We stayed till about 7:30 and ended up with 6 salmon all around the 30-35cm mark.

It was a good day and my son enjoyed himself which was the main thing.

Cheers

Keen, that is one of the best reports I have read. Glad you didn't just write , , , , "And we ended up at spot X". All those twists and turns of the adventure you had with your son is the story , , , , any kid would tell you that. Your Son is going to remember that day full of adventure with his Dad and all the twists the day unfolded, for the rest of his life. You are definitely a "Gold Star" Dad :thumbsup:

Glad that you and the lad could come home with some fish too :a_goodjob:

Cheers, Bugatti

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:09 pm

Nice report mate!
Sounds like it was a bit tough going at the start but paid off in the end!
Nice work.
Cheers :thumbsup:

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:19 pm

Cheers Bugatti catching something was just a bonus...

He is allready asking when we are going again!!!

Return to “Surf Fishing”