Golden Beach

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
MickCov
Has liked: 13 times

Golden Beach

Post by MickCov » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:10 pm

We usually try to get away for a few days around Xmas every year,the last couple of years has been to Cape Bridgewater where I can chase a few salmon from the surf or whiting in close.
This year we decided to head down to the 90 mile beach which I thought would be perfect...surf fish for three days solid :tu:
Conditions were messy with choppy surf and a lot of weed which the solid wind would blow up the line and thump into the top runner of the rod.
So while conditions weren’t conducive to great results,the final result for 3 days were a couple of small flatties and a couple of 40cm plus flatties...happy with that.
The absolute highlight of the trip was listening to a few locals who explained how to catch sharks off the beach.They paddle out and drop baits over the surf line about 300 mtrs out,and waste no time in hastily paddling back.
I was gobsmacked to hear of their catch consisting of hammerheads,large bronze walers and a 12 ft white.
I would highly recommend a trip down there,friendly locals and killer surf fishing.
Cheers Mick

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: Golden Beach

Post by Boonanza » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:00 pm

Sounds like a great trip Mick and it would be awesome to see those crazy buggers shark fishing :tu:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

MickCov
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Golden Beach

Post by MickCov » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:09 pm

Yep Boony,it was an awesome trip away.
Most of the time I had miles of beach to myself as it was pretty chilly with the wind busting off the Bass Straight.
Fair to say my wife and daughter weren’t too keen for a swim...
We will definitely be back.

Return to “Surf Fishing”