ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Wipe Out!

Post by ducky » Sat May 23, 2020 2:55 am

Al03 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:16 pm
ChrisTaylor wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:20 pm
I've never gone rock-fishing (although I see the appeal from that ongoing rock-fishing thread) so perhaps this is coming from ignorance, but it seems like the kind of thing where lots of people are experts until they're suddenly, tragically ... not.
Yup, good analogy, have I learnt my lesson.
Just to replace my gear I lost is well over $500 bucks alone.
Mrs has asked that I rethink rock fishing all together.
She says she would rather me continue my deer hunting because it's safer.
Think it's a bit like when you fall off a horse, you have to get back on it.
It's a pity I am a bit of a loner and only like recreational activities where there are no people to annoy me.
Sure quite a few people on here can relate to that.
Hence why I avoid piers like the plague.
Sounds like a good excuse to buy a tinny. Can fish solo to your hearts content. Safer than rock fishing and opens up a few remote hunting areas. Eildon/dartmouth

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Sat May 23, 2020 4:39 am

Gee Wizz
Good that you are ok
I also like Fishin and did Bowhunting alone-Self preservation for me
I do things when im fishin or carrying out maintenancee tasks on the boat to lessen the risks I take-1 big one for me is a safety belt/lanyard built into my full lenth PDF and attahed to the boat.
Ill give Rock fishin the big miss-2 old to be swept off rocks

Al03

Post by Al03 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:43 am

ducky wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:55 am
Al03 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:16 pm
ChrisTaylor wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:20 pm
I've never gone rock-fishing (although I see the appeal from that ongoing rock-fishing thread) so perhaps this is coming from ignorance, but it seems like the kind of thing where lots of people are experts until they're suddenly, tragically ... not.
Yup, good analogy, have I learnt my lesson.
Just to replace my gear I lost is well over $500 bucks alone.
Mrs has asked that I rethink rock fishing all together.
She says she would rather me continue my deer hunting because it's safer.
Think it's a bit like when you fall off a horse, you have to get back on it.
It's a pity I am a bit of a loner and only like recreational activities where there are no people to annoy me.
Sure quite a few people on here can relate to that.
Hence why I avoid piers like the plague.
Sounds like a good excuse to buy a tinny. Can fish solo to your hearts content. Safer than rock fishing and opens up a few remote hunting areas. Eildon/dartmouth
Yup, already got a tinny. Have used the tinny to access places such as Eildon, Rocklands etc to chase deer in remote spots.
I just love rock fishing, can't explain it.
Think it's the environment that does it for me.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:46 am

Glad your ok Al

Just had a look at the Cape Sorrell Wave buoy data for Tuesday there was only a small increase in wave size but significant increase in Wave period this may have been why a bigger more powerful wave surged over the ledge.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Al03

Post by Al03 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:54 am

ecoronad wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:48 pm
Out of curiousity, do you wear life jacket when rock fishing?
I do have one. But naturally on this day I forgot to pack it.
Wasn't till I was getting the gear out I realised I had left it at home.

Al03

Post by Al03 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:03 am

rb85 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:46 am
Glad your ok Al

Just had a look at the Cape Sorrell Wave buoy data for Tuesday there was only a small increase in wave size but significant increase in Wave period this may have been why a bigger more powerful wave surged over the ledge.
Ok thanks. Am still trying to work out how that wave came from nowhere. We have all heard of the "rogue" wave. This bloody thing was approximately 3 times higher than the rest of the sets.
It didn't break before the ledge like the others, it surged over the rock ledge then broke, estimate about 6 foot high, before it broke and flattened me.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:12 am

Al03 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:03 am
rb85 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:46 am
Glad your ok Al

Ok thanks. Am still trying to work out how that wave came from nowhere. We have all heard of the "rogue" wave. This bloody thing was approximately 3 times higher than the rest of the sets.
It didn't break before the ledge like the others, it surged over the rock ledge then broke, estimate about 6 foot high, before it broke and flattened me.
An increase in wave period also creates a lot more powerful wave. For example 1 meter of wind chop is completely different to 1 m of long period swell that has traveled a lot further to get to the coastline.

Not knowing the area or ledge your fishing I can only assume that the wave was caused by longer period swell and the way you described it surging indicates this was probably the case.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:17 am

http://www.bom.gov.au/marine/about/chec ... hing.shtml

A longer period wave will have more volume and come out of deeper water which would have created the surging effect.

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Sat May 23, 2020 9:19 am

Good to hear you are safe AL,
I cut my teeth at Wye river, Artillery and Mt Defiance and can tell you that even on the flat days the surge from some of the swells is enough to drag you back into the water. It sounds like you had safety measures in place like a quick retreat route and as you said never take your eyes off the water. Ive seen some truly massive surges go past Wye river and you think to yourself F..k me, glad im not out on the point whilst that baby is going past. I have not fished the rocks for 20 years as my knees cant take the walk in these days but it is definitely an exhilarating sport, and given you take precautions I cant see any reason why you should walk away from it. Call it lesson learnt and move on. This is just my opinion, yes it is a dangerous past time but also an enjoyable one with the scenery and exercise and everything else it can bring.
Keep safe and have fun

Al03

Post by Al03 » Sat May 23, 2020 11:50 am

I would like to thank everyone for their feed back. That link regarding the ocean swell was interesting to say the least. There was a cool change on the way at the time and the Barometer was also falling at the time.
Figure now that when there is a change on the way I will stay off the rocks and stick to the beach instead.
They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, well this old dog has learnt from this.
Regards Al.

Return to “Surf Fishing”