Surf Rod for Beaches

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
FishHunter81

Surf Rod for Beaches

Post by FishHunter81 » Sun May 31, 2020 7:04 pm

After some advice regarding surf rods for tackling salmon and gummies. I find when the conditions are right I can use my 5-12kg surf rod with size 5 star sinkers to keep bait down and I get salmon. However when it is more choppier and stronger winds I can't keep my bait from dragging back to shore. Yesterday at Gunnas it was dragging back. What recommendations would be suggested to keep my bait down. Any specific surf rod classes? I don't necessarily need to cast further out just need bait to sit. Ideas on what sinker size will suit a heavier rod class would be appreciated.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Surf Rod for Beaches

Post by Nude up » Sun May 31, 2020 7:40 pm

I don’t use star sinkers anymore I use the grapnel sinkers with the breakaway legs most shops sell them they tend to stay put by digging in the sand then a good yank and the legs release.
Attachments
8CC25E0E-FA36-4D08-BD3A-9D3983F74869.jpeg

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sun May 31, 2020 8:07 pm

In my very limited beach fishing past, I'd cast into the rips
So the sinker was not washed in as quickly
Gra

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Sun May 31, 2020 8:39 pm

I agree with Texas on this, if your rig is getting washed back up on to beach and there is a lot of side drift your fishing in the wrong spot. You need to be casting into a gutter or rip and you will avoid this usually.

There are many tutorials on this on YouTube to help explain it better. If your still having trouble identifying these area's next time your are out fishing and have this problem move up the beach 50m and give it another go as some spots are worse than others.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:14 pm

High quality braid will be significantly thinner and get pushed around less by the water. Grapnel sinkers and puller rigs with single baits will help as well.

Failing that buy a rod rated to cast 6oz sinkers.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Al03

Post by Al03 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:27 am

DougieK wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:14 pm
High quality braid will be significantly thinner and get pushed around less by the water. Grapnel sinkers and puller rigs with single baits will help as well.

Failing that buy a rod rated to cast 6oz sinkers.
Yup, sometimes fishing Johanna you struggle to hold bottom even with 6oz"s of lead.
Have found that casting straight out in front of you, "not at an angle", also helps, stupid as they may sound.
You also need to continually mend your line, not just leave the rod in a sand spike and wait for bites.
Even if you do get dragged along a bit it's not the end of the world, as your rig is covering more territory and a moving bait will often get better results than a stationary one.
Regards Al.

FishHunter81

Post by FishHunter81 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:24 am

Thanks guys. Yeah I thought I was fishing in wring spot but beach was packed and hard to find a spot without walking miles. Will try those sand spike sinkers next time I'm there.

Return to “Surf Fishing”