Newby Phillip Island

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
Island-boy
Has liked: 14 times

Newby Phillip Island

Post by Island-boy » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:35 pm

Hi Guys.

Bought a boat (4m tinny) two weeks ago haven't had one for twenty years and getting back into my fishing, so thought id sign up here and try to learn as much as i can.

Been out twice.

Last Thursday: Off Rhyll, Rhyll hole, corals and then over to Ram island area was fishing for snapper/gummies all day through the low tide, not much difference in tides, but didnt do very well just half a dozen under sized flattys that went back. (Guess the water temp still a bit cold)

Today: San Remo area, firstly out to back breach San remo area but SE came up so went around to Dickies bay & anderson peg & bass river area but only managed one wrasse that went back, two todies and one King George just 38cm

Will keep trying.

Did see a guy at the ramp cleaning a bag full of Flattys so expect he got them out past the entrance.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Newby Phillip Island

Post by rb85 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:53 pm

Welcome Island-boy

As the water warms up the fishing will improve for sure.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:25 pm

:w1: to the forum island boy!
Looking forward to reading some of your reports in the future!
Cheers :tu:

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:31 pm

Fish the start of the incoming in cleeland bite.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Jasonfish1234
Has liked: 234 times

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:39 pm

Island-boy wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:35 pm
Hi Guys.

Bought a boat (4m tinny) two weeks ago haven't had one for twenty years and getting back into my fishing, so thought id sign up here and try to learn as much as i can.

Been out twice.

Last Thursday: Off Rhyll, Rhyll hole, corals and then over to Ram island area was fishing for snapper/gummies all day through the low tide, not much difference in tides, but didnt do very well just half a dozen under sized flattys that went back. (Guess the water temp still a bit cold)

Today: San Remo area, firstly out to back breach San remo area but SE came up so went around to Dickies bay & anderson peg & bass river area but only managed one wrasse that went back, two todies and one King George just 38cm

Will keep trying.

Did see a guy at the ramp cleaning a bag full of Flattys so expect he got them out past the entrance.
Tell me about yourself mate, Islandy boy like when you start fishing what fishing gear you using like hook brand mate.... Also this forum full of good people mate. :tu:

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:01 pm

Island-boy wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:35 pm
Hi Guys.

Been out twice.

Will keep trying.

20-30m outside the eastern entrance is easy pickins for flattys.. pick ya days and don't get caught wind against tide on the way out and ya 4m tinny will do it easy.

WP is really unpredictable fishing. I'd thoroughly advise to invest in a half decent sounder. It will make life a lot easily

Island-boy

Post by Island-boy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:50 pm

Thanks guys.

@DougieK
Thank you will give it a go use to fish a bit around that area about 20-25 years ago with mixed success as never had a sounder or GPS so was always hit and miss, mostly use to get pinkies near the green marker just off speedies (little lava type reef on beach) or up near spew hill (big sand hill going out towards quarry) also use to drift from the back of foots (at San remo in towards bar when no swell, but was always only pretty small flaties)

@ Jason fish
Have a mix of braid and mono for both whiting and snapper set ups.(new to braid though)

Just standard whiting set ups nibble tip rods with spinning reels, running about 10lb line with a mix of bait holder and circle hooks size 4 and using a cocktail of piipies and squid.

Snapper set up, I think about 40lb line with 60lb mono leader size 4/0 circle hooks (just one hook, no holder hook, with Ezi rig with drum reels.

Use to fish a few times a week in a little tinny mostly around newhaven/San Remo but had no sounder and we were only just out of our teens and didnt have access to all the great info can now find online videos etc

Also use to fish a fair bit off Cowes/Red rocks area on the side of the shipping channel, had great success out there on turn of tide for snapper.

Lived up north since then including a few years on Fraser Island where i fished a few times a week from shore and in boat, so with maturity and a bit more experience have more of a grasp now on importance of equipment & bait and just fishing and ocean in general, so keen to get some of these areas of the port worked out.

@Kimtown
Yes i heard that is where the bigger flatties in numbers are found, the boat has a Garmin GPSmap 451s (colour) think about 2010 model. (haven't seen any arches yet though)

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:57 pm

Hi Island Boy I fish the areas you mentioned reasonably regularly make sure you have a good arsenal of squid jigs mate.
Any questions don't hesitate to message me.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:13 pm

Hello , my old said he got 16 flatties this week n trip b4 that got a gumbo n 40cm res..
He fishes out of Anderson Rd ramp in the deep ,uses massive sinkers to hold bottom
And squid around red rocks
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Island-boy

Post by Island-boy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:24 pm

@Bowl

Cheers might have to do a trip out that way, had a look at the ramp at low tide yesterday impossible to launch without a 4wd the sand build up around the ramp is crazy.

Yeah need some serious lead to fish on edge of shipping channel, its like a river sometimes.

Return to “Introductions”