Howdy from a city slicker wanting to fish more!

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
cobl04

Howdy from a city slicker wanting to fish more!

Post by cobl04 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:15 pm

Gday everyone! Name's Daniel. I live in Brunswick East. Fished a bit as a kid and have always loved it.

Bought myself a rod and tackle box last Christmas. I got a Shimano Sonic 702 Snapper 4-8kg rod and Sienna 4000 reel.

Went out with a few mates earlier this year off the Mornington Peninsula and caught about 40 fish... all juvenile haha.

No luck the times I've gone out on my own... went with worms in the Yarra near Warburton (but it was just after some big rains so got told that would have upset the fish), Lake Bellfield off the bank with worms, nothing, Lake Fyans off the bank with worms, nothing.

Hoping to get some tips on how to get going as a beginner. Are there some great spots within reasonable distance of Melbourne with simple, cheap bait? Should I be investing in lures? If, so what kind, and how do you fish with them? Should I be going out in a boat only? Is fishing on the bank of a river/lake just not worth it, or do I need different bait and more patience? What are some great spots for fishing hours out of Melb for holidays? (Note, I don't want it to be too easy like the Buxton Trout and Salmon farm, haha.)

Thanks legends!

Dan

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: Howdy from a city slicker wanting to fish more!

Post by hornet » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:23 pm

"I don't want it to be too easy like the Buxton Trout and Salmon farm" Dam.. there goes my suggestion.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:10 pm

Salt or Fresh water?

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:29 pm

I've fished landbased for years, was the same in the early years but after a while, I got better, caught few fish, some big ones too.
Bait fishing is a good start.
My basic general rule is, sunrise sunset is best. You need to fish around high tide for saltwater fishing, so high tide during sunrise and sunset is best. Ofc you dont have to worry about tide much if fishing in freshwater.
Watch some YouTube videos.
You can catch big carp in yarra around Kew until maybe Heidelberg, on worms or corn kernels (again, sunset/sunrise).
Plenty of bream in marybrnong river and lower yarra, use small hook and piece of peeled raw prawn on a running sinker rig.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:05 pm

Easy train or tram rides, the maribyrnong river, docklands and also along the Yarra River in the heart of the city. Just drop a simple prawn down near structure and you're a chance of a bream.

Elsewhere you have Eildon, places like Port Welshpool long jetty, port albert, the rivers and piers around Gippsland lakes, lake tyers and others with good landbased access to the east.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:35 pm

:w: to the forum Daniel :)
Plenty of great spots mate. What are you wanting to catch?

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:15 pm

Welcome mate

cobl04

Post by cobl04 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:14 am

Lightningx wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:35 pm
:w: to the forum Daniel :)
Plenty of great spots mate. What are you wanting to catch?
Anything good for eating, I'm not fussy :) But flathead, snapper, trout, bream, figure these are good fish to start with given their abundance?
cobby wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:05 pm
Easy train or tram rides, the maribyrnong river, docklands and also along the Yarra River in the heart of the city. Just drop a simple prawn down near structure and you're a chance of a bream.

Elsewhere you have Eildon, places like Port Welshpool long jetty, port albert, the rivers and piers around Gippsland lakes, lake tyers and others with good landbased access to the east.
Seb85 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:29 pm
I've fished landbased for years, was the same in the early years but after a while, I got better, caught few fish, some big ones too.
Bait fishing is a good start.
My basic general rule is, sunrise sunset is best. You need to fish around high tide for saltwater fishing, so high tide during sunrise and sunset is best. Ofc you dont have to worry about tide much if fishing in freshwater.
Watch some YouTube videos.
You can catch big carp in yarra around Kew until maybe Heidelberg, on worms or corn kernels (again, sunset/sunrise).
Plenty of bream in marybrnong river and lower yarra, use small hook and piece of peeled raw prawn on a running sinker rig.
Many thanks for the tips mates! Sounds like sunset is good, and prawns for bream!
Mattblack wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:10 pm
Salt or Fresh water?
Both!

Return to “Introductions”