Dead then Nuts

Aussie Salmon, Bay Trout, all info for Australian Salmon
chillicrab

Re: Dead then Nuts

Post by chillicrab » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:57 pm

i caught about 4, kept 1.

the avg size landed that day was abt 40ish cm.

chillicrab

Post by chillicrab » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:05 am

i guess if i was in hyper mode like everyone else, dragging the fish in, flung it over the pier, rip the lure out of the fish, then cast, rinse, repeat, i couldve probably caught more than 10 fish in the same amount of time. it was a fish every cast.

i just think theres a complete lack of respect for the fish and for nature.

if anybody actually stopped and just looked around im sure they will agree it really was an ugly sight.

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:14 am

chillicrab wrote:i was there on sunday morning.

the salmon were around and of course loads of people were there also, lined up shoulder to shoulder to rape the fish.

everyone was so focused on skull dragging the fish to the pier then getting their lure back in the water ASAP to rape the school of fish some more.

theres no time to enjoy the fishing, no time to dispatch the fish humanely. its all about who can drag more fish onto the pier.

after the frenzy, it was just pier full of bloody half dead fish flopping about

quite a disgusting sight.
You see chilli you tell me that you were there to fish and that you caught 4 and kept 1. Now going back to your original post does that mean that you were there as well to "rape" the fish as you put it. I assume you were also standing shoulder to shoulder with other people.
I don't understand why you would use the language you did but I'm sure you would know that salmon come and go therefore the fishing can get pretty frantic. If the pier was packed and everyone caught then I would assume it would be filled with fish.
Oh and by the way I like to snap their heads so I can bleed them which leads to a lot of blood all over the pier, humane, barbaric or disgusting?
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

chillicrab

Post by chillicrab » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:44 am

im not here to argue with anyone. i just feel that people shouldve taken more care with handling the fish and showing some respect for nature.

based on my observations that day, it was quite clear everyone was so focused on dragging as many fish as they could out of the water and then feeling so good about themselves.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:30 am

In a lot of ways, I have to agree with chilli. Anyone I fish with knows as soon as I land a salmon im gonna keep, it get the snap back treatment. I dont see that as cruel, that is ahumane dispatch. Sorrento is becoming a nasty sight, a lot of people simply leave the fish to die from asphyxiation....f###ing horrible.
Hope the fish out to the backbeaches soon to be honest..

tinyballerina

Post by tinyballerina » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:32 am

I am a prompt head snapper too. A lingering death is completely distasteful. It was frantic for me - I got 4, because I got a monster family to feed. I'll gladly catch my bag to meet this end.

Chilli does have a point about the disregard by some for a prompt dispatch. It does get ugly.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:00 am

chillicrab wrote:i guess if i was in hyper mode like everyone else, dragging the fish in, flung it over the pier, rip the lure out of the fish, then cast, rinse, repeat, i couldve probably caught more than 10 fish in the same amount of time. it was a fish every cast.

i just think theres a complete lack of respect for the fish and for nature.

if anybody actually stopped and just looked around im sure they will agree it really was an ugly sight.
I understand your point chillicrab! I think you could have worded it a bit better from your first post. As I let the majority of my fish go (just too lazy to prepare for the table :) ), generally the only time I am killing fish is carp. Regardless of how 'hated' they are, I still kill them immediately. It is the right thing to do.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:19 am

chillicrab wrote:im not here to argue with anyone. i just feel that people shouldve taken more care with handling the fish and showing some respect for nature.

based on my observations that day, it was quite clear everyone was so focused on dragging as many fish as they could out of the water and then feeling so good about themselves.
you cannot take it easy on a frenzy. Lines will get tangled. It was shoulder to shoulder last Sunday.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:22 am

Raulfc7 wrote:
chillicrab wrote:i was there on sunday morning.

the salmon were around and of course loads of people were there also, lined up shoulder to shoulder to rape the fish.

everyone was so focused on skull dragging the fish to the pier then getting their lure back in the water ASAP to rape the school of fish some more.

theres no time to enjoy the fishing, no time to dispatch the fish humanely. its all about who can drag more fish onto the pier.

after the frenzy, it was just pier full of bloody half dead fish flopping about

quite a disgusting sight.
You see chilli you tell me that you were there to fish and that you caught 4 and kept 1. Now going back to your original post does that mean that you were there as well to "rape" the fish as you put it. I assume you were also standing shoulder to shoulder with other people.
I don't understand why you would use the language you did but I'm sure you would know that salmon come and go therefore the fishing can get pretty frantic. If the pier was packed and everyone caught then I would assume it would be filled with fish.
Oh and by the way I like to snap their heads so I can bleed them which leads to a lot of blood all over the pier, humane, barbaric or disgusting?
:a_goodjob: :thumbsup:
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

SFP Chick

Post by SFP Chick » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:57 pm

CarlG wrote:
GTSHoon wrote:Hi guys I'm looking at a jewel or a Catana which would you guys suggest?
Thanks
Cam
I use a jewel, but also have a catana..just like the look of the jewel a bit more is all...
We have one of each. Cam has the Jewel and I have the Catana. I reckon they are so close it's hard to tell the difference.

So maybe your just down to asthetics mate. What looks better, or something easy like that.

I can say you will be very happy with either.
Cheers Amanda

Return to “Australian Salmon Fishing”